Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working on some new computer speakers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to them right now actually. The boxes are all 1/2" MDF, 4.5" wide x 8" tall x 6.5" deep, I used a 1" x 6" port. For desktop use this tuning works well, for a living room you may want to play with the tuning a bit or add a small subwoofer to fill out the low end.

My modest builds:
    Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

That said, the C-note kits are actually cheaper to build. If you have the space for a bit larger speaker, that might be a better option.
      My modest builds:
      Armadillo Center Channel
      Au-Rock-O Sub
      Tarkus
      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Thanks for the details! Wow, these are very compact speakers! If my math is correct, you are using about half the cabinet volume compared to the Sprite tuning. Are you happy with the performance of the tweeter? I really love the way they look in comparison to the more vanilla (dome) Helium project.

Comment

Dayton's ND91-4/8 series CAN go in a lot smaller box than the ND90-4/8 series, at a small loss of extension.

Comment

Cool. A 4" driver looks sorta funny in a huge box anyhow. Lol, one more time...how's the planar tweeter sound?

Comment

I really like it, it's detailed without being fatiguing, but still allows you to enjoy a less than stellar recording (so... not too detailed, but just enough). For $12 it's more than good enough for what I'm using it for. If you're interested in checking out something other than the standard dome format, it's a really decent place to start. Some reviews have said it's "harsh" but I suspect they are either crossing it too low, or trying to get more spl out of it than it can handle. It gets plenty loud but will absolutely not do "frat party" loud. Casual listening or a bit louder is no sweat though, and it does some pretty nice imaging as well. If there's one thing bad to say about it, mounting it is tricky. Routing a recess for it requires careful work, and locating the correct size screws may mean going on a hardware store safari.
              Last edited by bolland83; 12-15-2017, 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling...
              My modest builds:
              Armadillo Center Channel
              Au-Rock-O Sub
              Tarkus
              Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

I'm not looking for "frat party" loud Just something compact to fill a small room with music. Your description of the sound is much appreciated. Quite appealing too. Accuracy without fatigue is my thing.

My room is 12x14 and my plan is to mount these guys on the long wall at ear level, a couple feet in from the corners, probably toed in. So the fact that you already designed these with a down-firing port is a a bonus. Hope to add a sub down the road.

I really like the novelty of this build as well as the excellent predicted frequency response, and your listening impressions seal the deal. I've found my next speakers!

Comment

These should work well in that setup, that's not too much larger than the room I use mine in.
                  My modest builds:
                  Armadillo Center Channel
                  Au-Rock-O Sub
                  Tarkus
                  Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Working...
                  X