The Rally Sports - Dayton Pro Driver 15" 3-way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rally Sports - Dayton Pro Driver 15" 3-way

Hey Everyone, been a while since I posted a project! This is one of my latest, I had the pleasure of doing it in collaboration with Parts Express, pro driver projects have become very popular and I'm hoping PE runs with the design, was a lot of fun and I'm continually impressed by how good and loud these type of pro driver builds can sound.

The text below is from the project submission featured at http://projectgallery.parts-express....s/rally-sport/

Enjoy!

Project Description:

Home theater and modern music benefit from efficient and dynamic speakers, there are many small and compact speaker designs that make dynamic compromises for clear sound in a small package. If one is willing to throw proportional correctness out the window, a speaker design like the Dayton Rally Sports will open up a new world where sound is not just heard, but felt and experienced as well!

Smooth linear frequency response defines many of the best speaker designs on the market, but without driver size, displacement and efficiency, sound cannot be reproduced in the most dynamic way. Employing Dayton Pro Audio drivers, the Dayton Rally Sports build on smooth frequency response. With efficiency and the ability to truly deliver transients in music and movies, the Rally Sports engage any listener with dynamic listening that evokes the startling realism available in the recording. Three drivers, all optimized in their usable frequency ranges, excel at delivering transient, accurate and low distortion playback, not only with sparkling detail but at stunning volume levels if desired. Any simple amplifier will easily drive the Dayton Rallys to powerful sound pressure levels, even 15 watts per channel can deliver 100+ decibel sound levels.

Design Goals:

Driver Selection:

The following Dayton Audio drivers were used:

Midrange

Tweeter

Horn

Conclusion:

The Rally Sports are everything I set out to build, loud, efficient audiophile quality speakers that can be built affordably and driven off just about any amplifier. The Dayton drivers shine in their respective frequency ranges, even at full, deafening volume the drivers do not sound strained. Transients are delivered with startling impact and they play all sorts of music well from jazz, to rock and classical music.

Click image for larger version

Name:	c2a4125f68d8a0df4c8be86693dcb5b2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	1318659

Name:	6d656d7d8fae08a12938b2671586bc02.jpg
Size:	696.6 KB
ID:	1318660

Name:	32a962a8940051b9e8d3791c29704cfe.jpg
Size:	650.5 KB
ID:	1318661

Name:	b3d5df52a9fde870dab1c0edd0b1559a.jpg
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	1318662

Name:	8e346fc39942cf1d3dad3dd5d885283a.jpg
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	1318663

Will post some build pics and info below..

Thanks!
    Javad

--
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Pics continued...

Name:	e2a694626e8d0efbeee58db685f7dbf9.jpg
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	1318665

Name:	b438045a96ba64d626d605af93819b10.jpg
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	1318666

Name:	668fd8b4df3ca49d4fd0a176dd8ee24c.jpg
Size:	712.4 KB
ID:	1318667

Name:	78f2ba23208cf294067fc8fc02c3e84e.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1318668

Name:	39ddb2f5494bd25b196018d00c7c59a1.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1318669
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

Comment

Back Shot

Name:	2da474220ca744bec42c261dd1fc20f1.jpg
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	1318671
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

Comment

Enclosure Design:Enclosure Assembly:Crossover Design: Tips & Tricks:
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Inside flare for ports, the back side has a receiver groove for the port tube.

Both router guides for the horn, the flush mount and the baffle opening cutout.

Cutting out the baffle openings

Midrange flush mount and enclosure

Back panels glue up, poplar heart wood, the back grain runs up and down

Port tubes mounted from the rear in receiver grooves

Sub baffle cutouts completed

Horn flush mount done

1.5' roundover on outside of port baffle

Feet mocked up and ready to go

--
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Beautiful work! Those just look awesome!

Comment

Black stain applied to main cabinet separate from the poplar front and rear panels

Feet glued on

Massive clamping effort to press the baffle perfectly flat and meticulously clean any glue squeeze out.

Feet glued and clamped

Installing Drivers

Crossovers installed with velcro in bottom of cabinet, some light stuffing.

Finished crossovers, nice to have so much room!

Verification of port tuning frequency

--
              Javad Shadzi
              Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                Beautiful work! Those just look awesome!
                Thanks Jeff!
                --
                Javad Shadzi
                Bay Area, CA

Comment

Interesting build. Did you have an opportunity to measure the t/s params of the PA385S? They were measured as part of another project undertaken several months ago on the DIYAudio Subwoofers forum and the measured specs did not match the published ones (only Fs was a close match). Also those CD drivers you've got there look a lot like Eminence APT150s rather than the Dayton D250Ts. Must be a trick of the light or something..
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Nice!
                    See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Javad,

Those turned out great! Very unconventional appearance for that type of speaker and it looks fantastic.

Did you do any comparisons on that midrange enclosure vs a normal chamber to see if the reverse horn loading had any real world effects? I remember seeing this at CES when we spoke.
                      Your results may vary.

Comment

Stunning Javad! I still can't get over how nice you make the poplar look. You definitely have a keen eye when it comes to picking the boards.

Seems like a lot of your build stuff is oriented around the "Pro Audio" line but for home use, are you a fan of "LOUD" or was there some other reason you veered away from the traditional home drivers?
                        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                        The Archers
                        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Gorgeous build. Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                            Interesting build. Did you have an opportunity to measure the t/s params of the PA385S? They were measured as part of another project undertaken several months ago on the DIYAudio Subwoofers forum and the measured specs did not match the published ones (only Fs was a close match). Also those CD drivers you've got there look a lot like Eminence APT150s rather than the Dayton D250Ts. Must be a trick of the light or something..
                            Hey Brian, you know I didn't, I modeled off the published specs and fine tuned the port length to get the response I was looking for. Very pleased with these, they're not "subwoofers" but in room they are flat below 40hz. Also they get very loud and hold up down to that frequency, where a normal home audio woofer would bottom out much sooner. For $200 the seem like a great choice, very nice build quality, etc.

A couple more traditional 12 or 15" subwoofers taking 50Hz and below duty from these would be a very potent, loud combination too.

thanks!
                            Javad
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                              Javad,

Those turned out great! Very unconventional appearance for that type of speaker and it looks fantastic.

Did you do any comparisons on that midrange enclosure vs a normal chamber to see if the reverse horn loading had any real world effects? I remember seeing this at CES when we spoke.
                              Thanks Matt! You know I didn't do a direct comparison, yet, was the first time I tried anything like this, however I was impressed by the smoothness (sound and FR) of the midrange and any lack of coloration. Can't say for sure though w/o a direct test, but didn't seem like the concept could hurt anything, always a benefit to keep internal enclosure reflections minimized.

Javad
                              --
                              Javad Shadzi
                              Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X