The Rally Sports - Dayton Pro Driver 15" 3-way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
    Stunning Javad! I still can't get over how nice you make the poplar look. You definitely have a keen eye when it comes to picking the boards.

Seems like a lot of your build stuff is oriented around the "Pro Audio" line but for home use, are you a fan of "LOUD" or was there some other reason you veered away from the traditional home drivers?
    Kevin always appreciate your kind feedback Yea really been loving this Poplar heart wood, so much character and contrast in the grain!

I got on the Pro Audio kick with my SFE-812 build and gotten hooked on the drivers for several reasons. Yes I do like to listen to music loud, but not ridiculously so (say 90db at the listening position), many home audio driver builds can get to that volume but can sound strained. The sound of a good horn tweeter setup is also very appealing, the cross over low and if controlled properly have a very smooth and natural sound w/o some of the sibilance and "sssspitinesssss" you can get from a dome tweeter. Making sweeping generalizations here obviously.

Pro Audio subs and woofers also have a very sharp "attack" to transients that I've had a hard time duplicating with more traditional heavy and low Fs subwoofers. I wish I could invite you over to my listening room and do a session with the SFE-812's, they are jaw dropping-ly powerful speakers and do everything well, imaging, volume, detail, accuracy, smoothness, they are truly engaging to listen to. These Rally Sports have a similar quality, they get effortlessly loud and say detailed and accurate.

Also wish MWAF wasn't so far away, I'd haul them out.

I'll post some videos of the Rally Sports later this week, I started listening to them this morning and left the house an hour late just because couldn't rip myself away, fun stuff!

Thanks!
    Javad
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Stunning craftsmanship as usual Javad, thank you for sharing this build!

Comment

Beautiful build and performance. Stunning baffle to say the least.
        Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
        ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
        LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
        Sonata Soundbar Project
        The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

True Wood Artist strikes again.
          Innovative, stretching the boundaries.

Very nice use of pro drivers, high efficiency, and effortless dynamics.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post

Kevin always appreciate your kind feedback Yea really been loving this Poplar heart wood, so much character and contrast in the grain!

I got on the Pro Audio kick with my SFE-812 build and gotten hooked on the drivers for several reasons. Yes I do like to listen to music loud, but not ridiculously so (say 90db at the listening position), many home audio driver builds can get to that volume but can sound strained. The sound of a good horn tweeter setup is also very appealing, the cross over low and if controlled properly have a very smooth and natural sound w/o some of the sibilance and "sssspitinesssss" you can get from a dome tweeter. Making sweeping generalizations here obviously.
            Some of the same reasoning I also prefer pro-style driver arrangements. People underestimate just how quickly many systems get into higher distortion at higher (home) SPL, pro drivers mitigate this (particularly relevant if you use your mains for home theater as well as music).

Comment

Beautiful work and nice design!
              Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
              Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
              References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
              Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Lovely!

Comment

Interesting concept.

Great woodwork and aesthetics.

I wonder if there'll be any poplar left for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike
                    Interesting concept. Great woodwork and aesthetics. I wonder if there'll be any poplar left for me?
                    Thanks! Not in the Bay Area! =) Thanks for the kind words everyone! Javad
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

Nice build! Finding poplar boards like that is a bonus, always on the look out for those diamonds in the rough.
                      A mains
                      The Ventures
                      Open Invit8tions
                      RSR
                      Sound Troopers
                      Acorns
                      DGBG's
                      The Monuments

Comment

I too love the poplar. The grain is so stunning, to preserve the grain contrast try to find a finish that has a UV blocker in it. Otherwise the grain will mellow out quickly. Place a scrap piece in the sun to see what it will mellow into.
                        Great build I love it.

Comment

I uploaded a bunch of videos of the Rally Sports, feel free to check them out at my channel linked below.

Here is one video linked direct too:

My Youtube Channel with Speaker Demo Videos

I recommend listening on some good headphones, nothing like actually hearing them but you get an idea of the dynamics, clarity and fast transients these drivers are capable of.

Thanks!
                          Javad
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                          X