Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Late Comer

All,

I was obliged to share this in the gallery (thanks Wolf). These have been done for over a year but this is probably the 4th generation I've attempted. They are called the Apaches. I wanted to build a reference 2-channel system for myself and these initially started about 4-5 years ago. The cabs have been re-built three times and I've changed driver choices just as often. However...I think I finally landed on something that I am happy with. This project started when my crossover design knowledge was pretty limited (still is) but the end result is astounding to my ear. Especially considering the cost of the drivers used.

Dayton RS150P-4, Usher 9950 and a pair of RSS210HO-8 subs on each side. Everything is sealed, about 40-50 lbs of sand in each tower (two cabs per speaker, the subs and upper cabinets are separate) so they weigh in excess of 100 pounds a piece. The tops are powered with an Emo UPA-2 (thanks joeybutts) and the subs are powered with our Dayton SPA2400DSP. Needless to say I have headroom available. The crossovers are external because I was tired of tweaking my other designs and having to rip the woofers out every time I changed something. With the Emo USP-1 preamp I am able to high pass the top cabs so output capability is pretty substantial although I haven't even gotten close to their limits yet.

I am bias of course, but these are by far the best sounding speaker I have built. The sound stage and imaging capability is unreal and three dimensional. I've never heard a pair of speakers throw sound from front to back or top to bottom like these do. They sound wider than the wall they sit in front of. They are very revealing as well, and fairly sensitive which leads to surprising dynamics. Because of the DSP in the sub amp I have in room response to about 18 Hz with a slight house curve. Even with this boost I have plenty of output with all of the cone surface area from the subs. I cannot wait to get out of this $$%^#[email protected] apartment and get these in a properly treated room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1323103.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1323108

Name:	fetch?photoid=1323104.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1323109

Name:	fetch?photoid=1322932.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1323110

Name:	fetch?photoid=1322933.jpeg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1323111

Name:	fetch?photoid=1322931.jpeg
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1323112
    Your results may vary.

Gooooooddd lawd!!!!! Love em and they look fantastic. Does it have two different finishes?
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Looks great!
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Thanks guys!

The finish is the same and even. The lighting in that pic is pretty terrible and the pic itself could be better honestly. Doesn't really do them justice.
        Your results may vary.

Comment

That UPA-2 looking sexy in dat rack as well.... 😏😏😏😏
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
            That UPA-2 looking sexy in dat rack as well.... 😏😏😏😏

I agree!
            Your results may vary.

Comment

I recall this project going through a lot of iterations. It looks like it wound up in a very good place. Nice job.
              Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Argon | Helium | Lithium | LithMTM | Hafnium
              Mercury | Matrix | Shrubbery

Comment

Very nice, Matt! I hadn't seen a redo since the AC midbasses were in, so this is quite a change.

What's the bottom component in your rack? I see source, pre, and amp, but don't know the lower unit.

EDIT: I forgot you built a chassis for your 2400DSP. Nevermind...

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

!!! !!!!
                  Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                  DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                  Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Just realized the crossover is in an entirely separate enclosure. If I ever do another serious high end build that is in the open I'm going this route. Love it Matt.

Comment

Nice....again. still in the concrete apartment? Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        Nice....again. still in the concrete apartment? Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                        Yes, unfortunately.
                        Your results may vary.

Comment

I am WAY more impressed by sticking to a design, learning, growing, and getting it right. Way to go! I would wager they sound wonderderful!

Like from me!

Comment

Nice Matt. Glad Wolf brought it up.

Comment

Crossed over at 80hz?
                              There is the new RS-150 4A - is that something you might substitute in for s+g?

Comment

Working...
                              X