Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - The Ultimate Ammo Box Build

Hey guys,

I just bought an ammo box from harbor freight for $5. I have a few of the Tectonic 2" BMR Speakers and a 4" HIVI B4N woofer. I was planning to use these in a 2.1 setup in the ammo box. I hooked it up and am so far pleased with the sound. I did use a BSC on the B4N's. I am now in the planning/make it awesome stage. I need some help with some ideas or maybe things I haven't thought of yet. Here are a few things I am thinking of doing:

1. FM tuner (so I can take it to the drive-in).
    2. Bluetooth
    3. 3.5mm Jack
    4. USB charging port on the inside ( so you can charge your phone on the go)
    5. Green LED's on the bottom that can beat to the music with an on off switch
    6. Lithium charge pack that can be charged from the outside of the box
    7. 2.1 Speakers with BSC's on the BMR's
    8. Main, subwoofer and speaker volume knobs
    9. Battery Level Indicator on the side, so you know how charged your battery is

What do you guys think? Is there anything I am forgetting? Something I haven't mentioned I should add? I plan to build this on my YouTube Channel, so if there is something you want me to add, that you would liek to see, let me know. I am just trying to think of some cool ideas, that I may not have thought of yet. Thanks!

Update: It is finally complete!
    Last edited by Altoid; 07-13-2017, 11:36 AM.
    All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

If you go with 2.1, are you going to make the woofer a separate chamber from the mids? I might just skip the woofer on account of the small enclosure and use a couple mids with a port.

Comment

I was thinking of making separate champers for the full range speakers and using the rest of the space for the B4N's. Although, I ended up having to make seperate enclosure when I used a much flimsier box on my dewalt build. So I am a little concerned that it may flex too much.

Comment

I did check out the internal dimensions with WinISD and I happen to have a spare port lying around. I may just go ahead and port the B4N. It actually gives me a little better low end response as well.

Comment

I would love to build a project identical to this. I am fairly new to diy speakers but for a Bluetooth speaker I would love to be able to use a power tool battery instead of an internal battery. Possibly take apart a charger and connect it to one side of the can then it's as easy as swapping battery's that are already on charge. Awesome build and I probably build my own once your finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Nnoble83 View Post
            I would love to build a project identical to this. I am fairly new to diy speakers but for a Bluetooth speaker I would love to be able to use a power tool battery instead of an internal battery. Possibly take apart a charger and connect it to one side of the can then it's as easy as swapping battery's that are already on charge. Awesome build and I probably build my own once your finished.

That's a cool idea. I know DeWalt 12v batteries would typically be a good way to go. They are everywhere and you can usually pick them up gretty cheap. Plus being 12v, they work with just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Altoid View Post
              Hey guys,

I just bought an ammo box from harbor freight for $5. I have a few of the Tectonic 2" BMR Speakers and a 4" HIVI B4N woofer. I was planning to use these in a 2.1 setup in the ammo box. I hooked it up and am so far pleased with the sound. I did use a BSC on the B4N's. I am now in the planning/make it awesome stage. I need some help with some ideas or maybe things I haven't thought of yet. Here are a few things I am thinking of doing:

1. FM tuner (so I can take it to the drive-in).
              2. Bluetooth
              3. 3.5mm Jack
              4. USB charging port on the inside ( so you can charge your phone on the go)
              5. Green LED's on the bottom that can beat to the music with an on off switch
              6. Lithium charge pack that can be charged from the outside of the box
              7. 2.1 Speakers with BSC's on the BMR's
              8. Main, subwoofer and speaker volume knobs
              9. Battery Level Indicator on the side, so you know how charged your battery is

What do you guys think? Is there anything I am forgetting? Something I haven't mentioned I should add? I plan to build this on my YouTube Channel, so if there is something you want me to add, that you would liek to see, let me know. I am just trying to think of some cool ideas, that I may not have thought of yet. Thanks!

I've made one of these with a lot of what you have listed. For your Bluetooth, I would plan on attaching a panel mount rp-sma to the outside of the can and to the Bluetooth module so you can have an external antenna for your Bluetooth (wifi antennas work great). This way you go from a 20ft range to 100 ft or more.

If you plan on putting in a USB charge port and you're running off of a common battery, you will have a ground loop if your phone is plugged into the charger and the 3.5mm jack at the same time. So you'll have to add a ground loop isolator.

You can use an Internal battery and have a charge port on the outside of the can. There is a 12v 10amp hr lithium battery that should last you for days if you just run the amp and nothing else. Though you can get a sealed acid battery for a fraction of the price.

If you have the standard 50 cal ammo can, I will say that you may run out of space quickly. Maybe look i to the 50cal tall ammo can.

I'll try to post a picture of mine later on today. These are a lot of fun to build and always attract attention.

Comment

That is a great idea! I may have to look at adding an outside antenna! I actually have a smaller than a standard ammo box. I understand the allure of the SLA's, but I just can't justify the space/weight of it. I think I may recycle my 12v 6amp Lipo battery I have. I used it in my Dewalt build and I can easily transfer it between the two. Thanks for mentioning about the ground loop. I definitely do not want that!

Comment

In this video I will go over the Ultimate Ammo Box build. It was my goal to make a bluetooth speaker that did not forget anything. So I added LED lights that beat to the music, USB charge ports and even made it a 2.1 system with a mini sub. But I didn't stop there, I added an FM tuner and a voltmeter with battery charge indicator. Now you should never run out of battery. Check it out, and let me know if you think I forgot anything!

Oh yeah, the best part? It is super light weight!

Here's the completed video:

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                    If you go with 2.1, are you going to make the woofer a separate chamber from the mids? I might just skip the woofer on account of the small enclosure and use a couple mids with a port.

I ended up going with a separate box for the tectonic elements and used a plexiglass front, so the LED's would shine through. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Working...
                    X