Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Quick & Dirty" Sub

I've been busy.

I threw this thing together in about 30 minutes the other day as a proof of concept, excuse to try the DCS165-4 sub and have something to use under my desk at the office. It is very low profile, 4" deep and can be put about anywhere. I used cheap 1/2" plywood from Menards and didn't even bother bracing it. I did stuff some Acousta-Stuf in the area above the port. I built it as a passive unit in order to test different amp samples but you can throw an SA25 or SA70 in it and make a very nice low profile sub for many applications. It was cake to build. The slot port meant I only had to move the saw fence 3 times to get all the panels cut.

It gets low, handles a good amount of power and weighs probably around 10 pounds (best guestimate). I love it! It's just one of those "cool builds". You can even throw some 1" tall feet on the baffle and make it down-firing. Tons of possibilities. 0.38 cubes, modeling is tuned to 35 but an impedance sweep showed closer to 30.

All that boring tech stuff is below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1324198.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1324204

Name:	fetch?photoid=1324199.jpeg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1324205

Name:	fetch?photoid=1324200.png
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1324206

Name:	fetch?photoid=1324201.jpeg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1324207

Your results may vary.

Nice! I built a similar one but had some problems at first with the tuning due to boundaries. Should have offset the woofer and amp closer to one side like you did. I still use it to this day in the office and it manages pretty well.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...eedback-please
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
      Nice! I built a similar one but had some problems at first with the tuning due to boundaries. Should have offset the woofer and amp closer to one side like you did. I still use it to this day in the office and it manages pretty well.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...eedback-please

I do remember seeing that build Kevin, very cool! I promise I wasn't stealing your idea...I had completely forgotten about it to be honest. These woofers are pretty sweet little buggers. Shallow boxes to make longer ports easier to handle if you don't mind a longer enclosure.

I'm sure the lower tune I am measuring has to do with the port location I have in mine. A slightly lower tune doesn't bother me though. I think some people split hairs a bit too much when it comes to getting it perfect (kinda like building enclosure volumes to the x.xx1 decimal)
      Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
        I promise I wasn't stealing your idea...I had completely forgotten about it to be honest.
        The thought never crossed my mind Matt. When I posted that thread it was more of a question on the tuning issue and looking for help to understand why. Knowing what I know now, I agree on the tuning, a few hertz one way or the other shouldn't be a huge deal. Ended up leaving mine alone and never looked back. Definitely a nice little woofer for builds like ours and it works great in the small room I use for an office. I actually have mine standing just like yours towards the back of my desk so it doesn't take up any foot room. It's paired with my Archers now and they compliment each other well.

What speakers are you using on top of the desk?

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        The Archers
        The Gandalf's

Comment

That's exactly how I have/had mine and It's well out of the way of my feet. I have it at home currently testing out a potentially new 2.1 desktop amp product (I can't mention details). The speakers I have it paired with are my little 60 minute DSA's:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...0-minute-dsa-s

They really make for a nice match up.
          Your results may vary.

Comment

Sounds good Matt. Between your 60 minute DSA's and the Quick & Dirty Sub, a guy could put all of this together easily in one day. Top it off with this 2.1 "Mystery" amp and it should make for a nice little desktop system.

I'm using the SMSL Q5 Pro and the SA70. It would be nice to have an all in one desktop amp for this application not to mention it would be probably be a little cheaper then the two amps I'm using. Keep up the great work!
            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            The Archers
            The Gandalf's

Comment

Killer quick budget setups. Easy entry for people. I love it
              Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                Sounds good Matt. Between your 60 minute DSA's and the Quick & Dirty Sub, a guy could put all of this together easily in one day. Top it off with this 2.1 "Mystery" amp and it should make for a nice little desktop system.

I'm using the SMSL Q5 Pro and the SA70. It would be nice to have an all in one desktop amp for this application not to mention it would be probably be a little cheaper then the two amps I'm using. Keep up the great work!
                Thanks guys!

The amp I'm currently sampling wouldn't require an external sub amp if that gives you any clues. It would be ideal for a small desktop setup. I'm really hoping we can bring them in.
                Your results may vary.

Comment

Working...
                X