Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-note speakers and speaker stand build

Hey all,

With the deal too good to be true on the C-notes kit from Parts-express, I figured they would be the perfect choice for rear surround speakers. Got package last week and worked on these over the week-end. As said in the C-note thread, I was pretty impressed with their performance. Here are some shots of my build. I also got some binding posts from parts-express for a clean finish, as well as some open-cell foam from my local electronics parts store, to add to inside cabinet walls;

I will need to do the Veneering when it gets warm enough for me to work outside, at which time I will also do my Amiga towers and Sunflower center channel.

Here are the stands I built for them as well, which are still missing some bolts at each corner to use as adjustable spikes (and yes, I know the Ikea sticker is still on the table legs - I will remove them this weekend);

Wood is still natural - no oils or coatings. Not sure what would be a good product to coat them with - if even necessary. Wood used for stands was Birch.

And here is my initial placement (may play with this a bit, but am slightly limited)

Any more details on how you made the speaker stands? They look good, and simple too.

Comment

My c-note. The baffle is brown stone finish while the rest of the speaker is black vinyl ash.

Comment

Originally posted by bdiermeier View Post
        Any more details on how you made the speaker stands? They look good, and simple too.

Hey, thanks for the positive feedback! My first attempt at speaker stands.

So I am a bit OCD when it comes to picking the perfect 'things' for my place and searched high and low for speaker stand ideas/designs that I was truly content with. I stumbled upon these, they are originally from Ikeahacks I believe but I found the following build blog and liked the design, and more so, the low cost to make these! Here is the link;

https://josephlo.wordpress.com/2014/...stand-project/

I bought a piece of 4ft x 8-inch x 1 inch birch, had it cut into 4 pieces (two bases 12''x8'', two tops 9.5''x8'') and then routered the edges with quarter-round bit. The metal columns are table legs from IKEA; they screw in at the bottom (as you can see) and the top has an adjuster (plastic) which I removed and instead put a bolt to hold top (countersink head of the hole so bolt sits flush with wood surface). The lonk should explain in more detail. Have not treated the wood yet with anything because I want them to remain as natural-looking as possible, so not sure IF I should seal them and what would be best product to keep them looking as natural as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ronk View Post
          My c-note. The baffle is brown stone finish while the rest of the speaker is black vinyl ash.

Nice, looking good!!!

So I quickly tested my rear speakers by doing the YPAO configuration and then watching some movies. Now, since I do not have the spikes yet on my stands, they are not as high as I want them, but nonetheless, what life they bring to movies! These will definitely satisfy my rear surround needs.

YPAO set them as 'Large' as opposed to 'Small' (not sure why). I will do the setup again once I have time to rout the holes for the bolts/spikes on each base and raise them up another few inches.

Comment

Nice job! I'm curious about details on what materials you used for the stands.

Comment

Some added mass to the bottom of the stands might be advisable, given how top-heavy those are. Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by rmlarsen View Post
                Nice job! I'm curious about details on what materials you used for the stands.

Thanks for the compliment! If you look two posts up, I linked the blog that inspired me; the guy listed the materials used. In my case, it was four 'Adils' table legs from Ikea ($5 each here), and then a piece of 4ft x8in x1in of Birch that I hand sleected and cut into 4 pieces for the bottom and top pieces of the stands. I routered all edges with a roundover bit as well for a nice finishing touch.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                  Some added mass to the bottom of the stands might be advisable, given how top-heavy those are. Nice work.

I will most likely fill the two posts about halfway with some sand, which would probably help that. They seem quite stable as-is, but of course extra weight on the bottom half would prevent accidental knocking-over.

Comment

If you can/don't mind, I'd love to know how they behave as stereo speakers...😏😏😏
                    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Evan, how long are the Ikea legs? They are $4 each in Ikea. I can make stands with these legs and finished shelving from big box store.
                      Last edited by ronk; 03-25-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

The sound is OK and moderately detailed. The bass is present and adequate. The treble is okay but does not sound as realistic as a top class dome tweeter. My comparison in my living room is the nohr mini 9. The Mini 9 has better bass (also 5 inch midbass), more detail, and more accurate and faster tweeter. With the. 22 cap, I don'the hear the overly detailed sound in the c-note.

Anyway, I have been listening more to my other new build, my melcan, with a fullrange tang band w3 1364 in a target melamine cannister and a simple baffle step circuit. The melcan treble is directional and bass is almost non existence. But the midrange, detail, naturalness, and soundstage are top notch.

Comment

Sad that PE swiped a design name from a respected designer.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ronk View Post
                            Evan, how long are the Ikea legs? They are $4 each in Ikea. I can make stands with these legs and finished shelving from big box store.
                            Ikea legs are about 27'' each. Would love to see your take on the design once completed!

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                              If you can/don't mind, I'd love to know how they behave as stereo speakers...😏😏😏

They sound decent to me as stereo speakers. Haven't had a ton of time to listen in Stereo. I did a comparison review with my Amiga towers in the other C-note thread. Obviously they are not as full-sounding. I am also no expert audiophile, just a hobbyist audiophile. I am not yet into the same level of analysis of all aspects of sound as most of you on the forum; still learning. I come from the car audio world and if done right anything sounds better than stock car speakers :P

Comment

Working...
                              X