No announcement yet.

The Boomsticks - a high WAF, slim tower with 4x Dayton RS100-8 and ND25FA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One question I have is about the 1.5mh in front the 2 bass RS100's. That value inductor with a load of 2 RS100-8's in series corresponds to a pole with a -3db down point of 1300hz. Am I missing something or is that just the way it turned out?

Comment

That coil for the lower-range woofers is IN ADDITION to the LP coil in front of the other 2 woofers. It's more of a 2.7mH by that point.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Kerry those look great. I look forward to hearing them in InDIYana. I've been lusting after trim rings for years. Kevin expect an email. Can you imagine how popular a trim ring for the ND90/91 might be?
        John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
          Kerry those look great. I look forward to hearing them in InDIYana. I've been lusting after trim rings for years. Kevin expect an email. Can you imagine how popular a trim ring for the ND90/91 might be?

Thanks! Yeah, I've considered something similar for odd shaped and flimsy frames like the ND series or Peerless woofers. I was going to use MDF on a woofer, since it can be a little thicker. This one had to be thing to mount this way so the only solution was metal. Luckily, Kevin was able to cut them for me. However, the CNC machine they have isn't designed for metal work and he said it took a very long time to cut the rings. A machine shop should be able to do them more efficiently.
          -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Kerry these sounded great, I got a quick video of them doing work, nice excursion on those RS100's

https://youtu.be/Bh6Qrmw8xKo
            --
            Javad Shadzi
            Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS
              Kerry these sounded great, I got a quick video of them doing work, nice excursion on those RS100's
              Thanks! Cool video. What phone do you have? I've tried to do this with mine and the quality turned out terrible. It very quickly overloaded the mic and distorted. Even with out that, it never sounded as clear as yours.
              -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                Thanks! Cool video. What phone do you have? I've tried to do this with mine and the quality turned out terrible. It very quickly overloaded the mic and distorted. Even with out that, it never sounded as clear as yours.
                iPhone 7, does a great job on recordings like this, see some of my other videos on my channel as well, I'm always impressed at the quality.

Javad
                --
                Javad Shadzi
                Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post

iPhone 7, does a great job on recordings like this, see some of my other videos on my channel as well, I'm always impressed at the quality.

Javad
                  Wow, that's crazy. Mine is a 5s and is not anywhere close to as good.
                  -Kerry

Comment

I enjoyed hearing the Boomsticks at Indiana. They had a smooth overall sound with a nice bottom presence. And later on after the main competition, they cranked them up a fair bit more and they didn't loose their composure. It was cool hearing them play that loud and clean... and they look fantastic too. They would make a really nice pair of main speakers I think.

TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks, Tom! When we had them playing after the competition, they were up pretty loud. I could hear them straining a bit, so I went up to check the SPL meter. They were averaging around 90 dB at the mic around 8 feet away and peaking around 97 dB. I'm surprised they were able to get that loud in such a large room. I've had them loud in my house, but not that loud.
                      -Kerry

Comment

Very nice indeed. Love the look.
                        No matter where you go, there you are.
                        Website

Comment

Hey Kerry, I spoke to, you only the project ideas page, and was inspired by you design, you speakers now have a cousin. couldn't be happier. I ended up,with dual port lengths of about 6" (as it stands right now) might change. Thanks again for sharing. This is my 4th speaker build and my first to mimic someone else's. Interesting first project doing the parallel / series. Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ruegerpw View Post
                            Hey Kerry, I spoke to, you only the project ideas page, and was inspired by you design, you speakers now have a cousin. couldn't be happier. I ended up,with dual port lengths of about 6" (as it stands right now) might change. Thanks again for sharing. This is my 4th speaker build and my first to mimic someone else's. Interesting first project doing the parallel / series. Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
                            Nice! Did you end up using the same paint? If you did, it looks like it turned out much more even than mine. You'll have to share your some tips on how you finished them. How do you like them so far?
                            -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                              Nice! Did you end up using the same paint? If you did, it looks like it turned out much more even than mine. You'll have to share your some tips on how you finished them. How do you like them so far?
                              I love how they sound omg. I didn't go into this project with the intention of getting rid of my subwoofer but I've unplugged it and removed it from the room. For the finishing I used a high coverage primer and the paint I'll give away the secret in 3.5 words. Behr Marquee semi-gloss. :D . I'm going to start on a center channel to match it. Might use the same drivers but go for a sealed design Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful work Reuger,

Close to an identical example... I thought I was looking at Kerry's speakers in a different location at first!

They came out great, and I know they sound amazing, I've heard Kerry's at least twice.

TomZ
                                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Working...
                                X