The Boomsticks - a high WAF, slim tower with 4x Dayton RS100-8 and ND25FA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Beautiful work Reuger, Close to an identical example... I thought I was looking at Kerry's speakers in a different location at first! They came out great, and I know they sound amazing, I've heard Kerry's at least twice. TomZ
    Thanks Tom! Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ruegerpw View Post
      I love how they sound omg. I didn't go into this project with the intention of getting rid of my subwoofer but I've unplugged it and removed it from the room. For the finishing I used a high coverage primer and the paint I'll give away the secret in 3.5 words. Behr Marquee semi-gloss. :D . I'm going to start on a center channel to match it. Might use the same drivers but go for a sealed design Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Glad you are enjoying them! What sub were you using and how big is your room? If you build a center, you should be able to make it a WWTWW arangement without any significant change. Off axis looks to be good to about 20 degrees in each direction, so a 40-45 degree window. Sealed might roll off a bit too soon though. These only get down to around 125 Hz sealed. I would reduce box size by about half and port to around 70-75Hz instead. That should get you extension down into the mid 60s.
      -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

Glad you are enjoying them! What sub were you using and how big is your room? If you build a center, you should be able to make it a WWTWW arangement without any significant change. Off axis looks to be good to about 20 degrees in each direction, so a 40-45 degree window. Sealed might roll off a bit too soon though. These only get down to around 125 Hz sealed. I would reduce box size by about half and port to around 70-75Hz instead. That should get you extension down into the mid 60s.

your going to cringe, but the room is about 23x18 and all tile floor! I agree as I punch the numbers, those RS 100's just are not meant to be sealed. I was using a Dayton 500W amp with built in crossover and a 10" Ref series Dayton Woofer for the sub. I was thinking of doing a WTWWTW to address multiple seating positions. What are your thoughts on that setup? (using the same ND25FA's).
        The whole other direction I was thinking of going was to build a true super slim longer "sound bar" but I get nervous on super tiny speaker builds, thinking about quality. But I haven't admittedly punched numbers on any of the super small driver specs yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ruegerpw View Post

your going to cringe, but the room is about 23x18 and all tile floor! I agree as I punch the numbers, those RS 100's just are not meant to be sealed. I was using a Dayton 500W amp with built in crossover and a 10" Ref series Dayton Woofer for the sub. I was thinking of doing a WTWWTW to address multiple seating positions. What are your thoughts on that setup? (using the same ND25FA's).
          The whole other direction I was thinking of going was to build a true super slim longer "sound bar" but I get nervous on super tiny speaker builds, thinking about quality. But I haven't admittedly punched numbers on any of the super small driver specs yet.

If you are doing it just for a center, a WTWWTW would not be ideal. You'll actually get worse off axis because of the tweeter spacing. If you were running it as L/R setup, it could work OK.

If I remember correctly, you'll get about at 30 (+/-15) degree listening window if you lay a Boomstick on it's side. It might have been a little more than that. You can build it as a WWTWW and it should work just fine. If your couch is back a at around 3 meters or so from the center channel, that will give you a fairly wide listening window. If you are only a few feet away, it could be a problem.
          -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Working...
          X