First home sub build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First home sub build

I have been building subs for my cars for over 25 years now and thought it was about time I made one for the house. Just a simple and inexpensive build using a Dayton SD215 sub and a SA25 plate amp. I don't need big bass as I live in a townhouse and if I really need a loud bass fix I just go for a drive in the car. Box is just a bit over 1 cf with a 3x12" port which tunes it to 36hz if I remember correctly. Simple build with one brace in the middle and a 1.5" thick baffle with the outer half made from BB and some leftover Tamarind strips.

New saw is great at making mitre cuts!

First baffle layer glued and nailed in, then glued on second layer.

A couple coats of poly and she's looking nice and pretty!

I had it playing in the garage for a few days while I was testing out some other speakers and it was plenty loud down there. I was going to get it hooked up in the living room tonight but it got late and the wife went to bed so maybe tomorrow it will make some noise

See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Beautiful Derek! You do some really nice work and the combination of the BB and Tamarind is spectacular looking, great choice.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Nice looking subwoofer, hope you don't hide it in a corner...nobody will get to see how nice it is! Come back and tell us your thoughts after a good long listening session. I would think it would fill in the lower octaves very nicely.
      Paul

The "SB's" build page
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Very nice driver-end aesthetics!
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Very nice finish! I'm using that woofer in a 1 cube project right now, and your cuts are way more accurate than mine. Is the port on the back side with the plate amp?
            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
            Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
              Very nice finish! I'm using that woofer in a 1 cube project right now, and your cuts are way more accurate than mine. Is the port on the back side with the plate amp?
              Thanks! Yes - plate amp and port on the back side.

Comment

Very nice craftsmanship and front baffle looks great. How did you do the veneer, what kind, paper backed, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by IBM5150 View Post
                  Very nice craftsmanship and front baffle looks great. How did you do the veneer, what kind, paper backed, etc?

I use raw veneer and two coats of contact cement. Seems to work for the most part - I have had a few speakers peel but it was from a bad batch of cement.

Comment

Nice build quality, the tamarind/ply baffle looks terrific.

Comment

25 watts is not much at all, but I definitely understand not wanting to bother the neighbors. I dealt with that for quite a while. I'm finally about to move into an actual house and am excited to be able to build out the basement as soon as we can afford it That port looks HUGE btw.
                      -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

That woofer can't handle much power in a box that size, 25W is perfect. That's the same combo Carmody used if I'm not mistaken. It responds low at the cost of exertion. That port does seem huge, I'm guessing it's flared and looks a bit bigger than it is. I went with a 2" precision port on mine, velocity gets a little high in the sim but the big flare should help.
                        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                        Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                          25 watts is not much at all, but I definitely understand not wanting to bother the neighbors. I dealt with that for quite a while. I'm finally about to move into an actual house and am excited to be able to build out the basement as soon as we can afford it That port looks HUGE btw.
                          Originally posted by wogg View Post
                          That woofer can't handle much power in a box that size, 25W is perfect. That's the same combo Carmody used if I'm not mistaken. It responds low at the cost of exertion. That port does seem huge, I'm guessing it's flared and looks a bit bigger than it is. I went with a 2" precision port on mine, velocity gets a little high in the sim but the big flare should help.
                          It's a 3" Precision Port so the opening is almost 4" in diameter - it does look huge though

Comment

The 215DVC in the Aethers was in a 1.5ft^3 box, FWIW. That was NICE bass!

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

Infinite baffle subs. Game set and match, if you have a space, like a basement, you can easily do it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X