Mini TL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini TL

Despite having this project posted in the PE Project Gallery I'm posting the PDF file and a few more details here.

http://projectgallery.parts-express....rized/mini-tl/

This is a mini transmission line speaker with the ND91-8 and the ND25TA. I've not seen too many designs with the Titanium Tweeter so I thought I' give it a try.

The internal volume is 3 liters and the total line length is almost 1 meter. The terminus output is well behaved compared with a ported design.

The design was further complicated by using solid quilted maple. The original Idea was to do a dye/ sandback/ sunburst finish like many guitar finishes. That did not look good with non-symmetrical front baffle grain pattern as well as the darker edges where meh. The final finish turned out to be royal blue dye with a lacquer top coat. This could easily be done with quilted maple veneer.

I've posted the x-o as I wanted to point out that I used a resistor parallel with the 3rd leg cap (contour filter) to adjust the phase (delay) of the tweeter.
    Attached Files
    John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

A few more pics, terminus output and some of the initial horn response sims
    John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Love it. Tlines are quickly becoming a favorite alignment of mine. This looks awesome. Nice work John.

Looks like an f10 of high 30's? Nutty...
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

That's a pretty neat way of folding an offset TL to get the driver into that position. As it's a rectangular box, it might be more accurate to set the segments in HornResp to PAR (for parabolic) rather than CON (for conical), but I'm not sure if it would really make a significant difference to the modeled output.
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Brian thanks, Horn Response help file also mentions PAR, old habit for me.
          John H

Comment

Absolutely stunning finish! What dye did you use?

Comment

Will this be making it's way to MWAF John? Nice!
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
              The Archers
              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
              The Gandalf's

Comment

The dye is Keda royal blue. Kevin they look good enough for MWAF, but they are not a big room speaker. We'll see how they sound in inDIYana.
                John H

Comment

Not to butcher or sidestep, what about using this enclosure design as a subwoofer? Viable?
                  Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Yes, it's viable for a sub as you combine the port with the internal volume and use damping to clean up the noise. That said the length begins to look more like a horn so other arrangements like a taped horn are worth looking at. Brain should chime in here...
                    John H

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                      Yes, it's viable for a sub as you combine the port with the internal volume and use damping to clean up the noise. That said the length begins to look more like a horn so other arrangements like a taped horn are worth looking at. Brain should chime in here...
                      ​An offset TL like the design pictured here should be pretty good for subwoofer duty, and would require a smaller box when compared to something like a tapped-horn. The main "trick" is to be able to fold the required "line" into a reasonable box shape, particularly if you want the driver and the vent to be on the same panel. Here's something similar I designed for an 18" driver that used a lot less internal panels, but it's also a lot bigger
                      Attached Files
                      Brian Steele
                      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

man i would like to see these as a kit and i wonder how much larger they would be using the ND90-8.

Comment

Stunning finish !

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E View Post
                            man i would like to see these as a kit and i wonder how much larger they would be using the ND90-8.
                            The box volume goes from about 3 liters to 4.6 liters, attached is the horn response sim picture.

John H

Comment

tbh i have no idea how to read that response sim...

Comment

Working...
                              X