X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JavadS
    started a topic Microfarads- Nano Speaker using PS95 and W5-2053

Microfarads- Nano Speaker using PS95 and W5-2053

As I'm packing these things to go to InDIYana I thought it's time to do a gallery post on what I'm calling the Microfarads!

Project Description:

This is the most challenging smallest speaker I've built to date. Due to the strict enclosure volume restrictions, this is also the most precisely built speaker I've made with each cut toleranced to less than 1/32".

Total internal volume (not air space) is 3 liters including the PS95 sub-enclosure, I was pretty frustrated about some of the nonsensical restrictions on this project initially but ultimately grew to appreciate Ben's sense of neurotic restricted creativity =) The subwoofer is the Tang Band W5-2053 with 2 Peerless 5.25" per enclosure. Crossover frequency is about 300hz

Design Goals:

1 - Build a full range speaker capable of solid bass with smooth response to 20kHz

2 - Total internal volume of 3 liters including mid enclosure

3 - Unique striking look

4 - Ensure every possible square inch is covered by a sound radiating diaphragm =)

Driver Selection:

I tried a few different drivers but always knew I'd end up with the W5-2053, this thing is a monster and the bass it puts out from only 3l is astounding.

Was an interesting driver to work with as it's response falls off a literal cliff at around 1kHz, so I used that to my advantage in the XO. I had a pair of PS95's I'd been wanting to try out and was shocked by how good they sounded, so after trying some different drivers I settled on those. They were also welcome with the limited space I had to work with.

Enclosure design:

This was purely determined by 2 factors...driver and PR mounting dimensions and the strict internal volume requirement.

As you can see it's all a tight fit. Precise calculations were made initially using some triangle area calculators to ensure internal volume was at or less than 3l.

Passive Radiators ended up with no weight which resulted in a 56hz tuning frequency, more boosted than I wanted but adding any weight maxed out the excursion that much sooner. I was able to add 15 grams to bring it down to 50 but the passives were straining much sooner, as is the W5 easily over powers 2 5" PR's, really 3 or 4 of these would better keep up with 1 W5.

Another passive radiator issue I dealt with early on was "enclosure walk", using dual opposed passive radiators solves most of that. Also Sorbothane feet in 30 durometer further eliminated any chance of movement.

Enclosure Construction:

Construction is solid mahogany, angled joints are mitered, all glue construction.

I made this CAD (Cardboard Accurate Dimension) to help with the initial concept, I also used it to check test cuts to ensure things were aligning and helping with angle calculations:

Plywood test cut that was perfect, this locked in all my angles on the table saw:

Tape held it all together:

In Mahogany:

I made the cut out of one board to match the grain:

Attaching front baffle:

My cut list:

Test fit:

Clamping and gluing the baffle:

Before I attached the sides I wanted to finalize the mid enclosure, since the PS95 needed no airspace to play to 300hz, I molded a tight fitting fiberglass enclosure. I started by mounting the driver into a board just like I would in the final enclosure, then I built a makeshift mold using layers of alum foil and masking tape:

Fiberglass matte:

Polyester resin:

Wala, about 5 layers:

Removed from the mold:

Trimmed up and painted:

Built into the mold was a 3/16" Sorbothane disc which creates a CLD treatment to the back of the enclosure, as the driver is screwed down it loads up on this viscoelastic dampening medium and greatly acoustically dampens the mid enclosure. I tested this and it works well:

Mounted, it is attached with silicone adhesive and some screws for good measure:

• Jake
    replied
    I came across a demo of these on youtube, and they sound amazing! Very impressive design.

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    replied
    Originally posted by jamiewatkins2004 View Post
    Respect to you fella
    Thanks Jamie!
    Javad

Leave a comment:

• jamiewatkins2004
    replied
    Originally posted by JavadS
    Playing out in the wild, I took them on vacation with me to provide music for the family
    Respect to you fella them are sooo sweeet. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jamiewatkins2004
    replied
    Originally posted by JavadS
    Playing out in the wild, I took them on vacation with me to provide music for the family
    Respect to you fella them are sooo sweeet. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    replied
    Playing out in the wild, I took them on vacation with me to provide music for the family https://youtu.be/0_FTUd4_uLk

Leave a comment:

• jwjarch
    replied
    Thanks Javad. I'll try it with and without to see the affect. Maybe vary the components a little. I also thought about a simple RC high pass at about 30-35hz to keep the low frequencies out of the picture as well. I'll post the build once I get it up and running. These will be a simple test speaker for seeing which low power amp boards I like the best for future builds.

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    replied
    Originally posted by jwjarch
    Another nice build Javad. I have a question about the PS95's. I'm planning on using these in a Karlson full range build. If I wanted to smooth out the top end what components from your XO would you recommend? I have a few reservations about the PS95's being fatiguing based on the NinetyFives thread but I already bought them and really want to use them. Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
    Hey, thanks glad you liked it! This part of the circuit worked for me, change the indicator to change the top end, .25mh really flattens it out but lacks air, .1mh is on the bright side, play with it and let me know what you think

Leave a comment:

• jwjarch
    replied
    Another nice build Javad. I have a question about the PS95's. I'm planning on using these in a Karlson full range build. If I wanted to smooth out the top end what components from your XO would you recommend? I have a few reservations about the PS95's being fatiguing based on the NinetyFives thread but I already bought them and really want to use them. Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarface1
    How will these perform in a 3 liter enclosure with 2 passive radiators (the same as you, 5 inch), but subwoofer only. So without midrange! I want to build a small sub that plays to 40hz! The speakers you make are very nice. The woodcolor is perfect. I want to make a boombox with that type off wood. You can really make it smooth like it's just bought in store. Very nice built!!!
    Hey, the mid takes up very little space so when I tested w/ and w/out it the response was basically the same. Thanks for the kind words, glad you like them! Javad

Leave a comment:

• Scarface1
    replied
    How will these perform in a 3 liter enclosure with 2 passive radiators (the same as you, 5 inch), but subwoofer only. So without midrange! I want to build a small sub that plays to 40hz!

The speakers you make are very nice. The woodcolor is perfect. I want to make a boombox with that type off wood. You can really make it smooth like it's just bought in store. Very nice built!!!

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    replied
    Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
    I wish I had been in a better spot to hear these when they played. I could tell they had good bass, but I was off axis in the very back of the room, which isn't really ideal for listening the full range driver on top. The cabinets definitely looked great!
    Thanks Kerry, wish I had more time to play them

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied
    I wish I had been in a better spot to hear these when they played. I could tell they had good bass, but I was off axis in the very back of the room, which isn't really ideal for listening the full range driver on top. The cabinets definitely looked great!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Nice work, nice documentation.

Leave a comment:

• ronk
    replied
    Very nice. Great wood working skills and beautiful solid hog wood.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X