JBL TLX171 Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL TLX171 Upgrade

Yet another project. This time I decided to tackle a pair of JBL TLX171 floorstanders that nobody around here claimed, and I needed shop speakers at work. The woofers and mids had already been replaced with DC200's and Goldwood sealed backs but the original crossovers were still in place and it was obvious. I tried like hell to make those Goldwoods work and it just ended up not being practical so I replaced those with RS125-8's.

The speaker consists of and DC200-8 woofer, RS125-8 mid and stock tweeters. The woofers drop right in. The mids are interesting, the stock mids used a removable back cup that was still in place. The RS125's are about 3mm too wide to fit the recessed opening. I opted to slap some gasketing tape around the back cup flange and center them up on the hole and surface mount them. This seems to work just fine. The tweeters both still worked and had a remarkably flat response when I measured them, so I kept them in place. Crossover points are 500 and ~3200 Hz. I did not change anything regarding bracing or fill and this was a pretty quick and dirty design so I didn't tweak anything after the fact. I did measure the end result to ensure proper polarity and it matched the sim very closely. The cabs appear to be tuned to about 40 Hz with a giant rear port. The bass response is nice with the Dayton woofers. Crossover details are below in case you have a pair you want to bring life back into.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1328960.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1328964

Name:	fetch?photoid=1328959.jpeg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1328965

Name:	fetch?photoid=1328961.jpeg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1328966

Name:	fetch?photoid=1328962.jpeg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1328967

Your results may vary.

No speaker pics? If you saved the Goldwood sealed backs let me know, they are on my list to test in a horn.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
      No speaker pics? If you saved the Goldwood sealed backs let me know, they are on my list to test in a horn.
      Nope, no speaker pics. I can shoot a couple later and post them. I do still have the Goldwoods but they aren't really mine to give away unfortunately. The bad part is I'm not sure whose they are...
      Your results may vary.

Comment

Requested pics:

Name:	fetch?photoid=1329252.jpeg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1329254

Name:	fetch?photoid=1329251.jpeg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1329255
        Your results may vary.

Comment

Those look nice!
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
          X