Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project #2: The 'Tenacious Bass 6' and 'Tenacious Bass 8' Subwoofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Thanks guys.

    I might have put it on the back burner if it were not for the fact that it was one of the design team projects. Not that I would have given up totally, but it just ended up taking so much time that it became less than super-fun -- which is the way it usually is when I'm working on a project. The fact that it was double the project didn't help any either.

    I'm thankful for the Tech Talk buds that I spoke to for help with this, there were some reassuring words spoken... or typed anyway. Kevin K. figured out that my BassBox Pro program was spitting out garbage, I didn't even notice. Even with a full reinstall, it still goofs up on me depending on what I'm doing... bugs and all you know. He opened my files up and took the time to see that some of the calculations were not adding up. Thanks man! Neil Davis also checked out my work and gave me some 'backup' on the passive radiator 'fix' that Chris Roemer suggested. I appreciate the help guys. As it turns out, the TB-8 ended up being an even better performing sub with the Dayton PR than it would have been, and I was able to adjust the design on the smaller TB-6 before I started construction, so it's all good I guess. Still, I think I'm staying clear of slot vents from now on.

    Now that you mention it Blue, I can see why you'd say it has a pinkish hue, it kind of does depending on how it's viewed, under what light I mean. I keep saying I'm going to stain it with something before applying clear to lessen the 'brightness' of it so to speak, but then I never do. I recently purchased some similarly made Striped Ebony from Veneer Supplies as well. That looks REAL nice, they sell it 8x4 as well which is cool if you need the grain to be oriented a certain way when doing roundovers.

    About the unevenness of it... I can still feel some slight 'texture' I guess on the surface. I didn't get the smaller TB-6 as shiny as the bigger one, so it's hard to tell, plus it's lighter so it doesn't reflect as well... but next time, I'll use a rubber sanding block with some fine paper to get the layers all flat. I usually just sand with 320 grit or so till the veneer is baby-bottom smooth and then go from there. I think the reconstituted stuff needs a little more pre-finishing though.

    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

    *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

    Comment


    • #17
      Nice subs, elegant and sharp at the same time.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
        Kevin K. figured out that my BassBox Pro program was spitting out garbage, I didn't even notice. Even with a full reinstall, it still goofs up on me depending on what I'm doing... bugs and all you know.
        I have often wondered about this. I have modeled the same driver in the exact same volumes with all the same settings and have seen different port lengths. I am running BB6 Pro on a Mac via VMware. Sometimes it hangs and i have to restart the OS. If i have time today I may do a reinstall.
        "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

        The Madeleine
        The Roxster
        Swopes 5.0
        Acoustic Panels
        Living Room Make Over

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Gordy View Post

          I have often wondered about this. I have modeled the same driver in the exact same volumes with all the same settings and have seen different port lengths. I am running BB6 Pro on a Mac via VMware. Sometimes it hangs and i have to restart the OS. If i have time today I may do a reinstall.
          There are quite a number of 'glitches' with BassBox Pro that I've noticed. I've entered all the correct params on a few speakers and it refused to give me a response graph. Did it again, fine. I suspect that whatever part of the code that deals with correcting errors has a few "loose ends" on the flowchart where there are issues.

          I'll still keep and use it though because it does a fantastic job of calculating various box sizes with a visual of what's going on, even compiling a parts list with dimensions, as you know.. I just started messing with WinISD this morning. Different, but nice. I think I'll try to learn that and compare some between the two.

          TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

          *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

            There are quite a number of 'glitches' with BassBox Pro that I've noticed. I've entered all the correct params on a few speakers and it refused to give me a response graph. Did it again, fine. I suspect that whatever part of the code that deals with correcting errors has a few "loose ends" on the flowchart where there are issues.

            I'll still keep and use it though because it does a fantastic job of calculating various box sizes with a visual of what's going on, even compiling a parts list with dimensions, as you know.. I just started messing with WinISD this morning. Different, but nice. I think I'll try to learn that and compare some between the two.

            TomZ
            I like all the setting BB6 has down to the fill and mounting type of the driver. I have run both side by side to see what I get and have sometimes gotten vastly different values. When that happens, i just flip a coin
            "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

            The Madeleine
            The Roxster
            Swopes 5.0
            Acoustic Panels
            Living Room Make Over

            Comment


            • #21
              Just had a chance to take a harder look at these Tom, really nice work man! Your cabinet design is super cool looking! And the new RS Passive Radiators sure are easy to look at, aren't they. I know you were frothing at the mouth when you heard they were releasing these and couldn't wait to get your hands on some. Nice implementation. Hope you will be toting these to MWAF, would love to hear them in action.

              Did you ever get a chance to check the Harris Technology site for an update to the BB software? They may have a fix for your version. Mine has been a little glitchy on occasion but it seemed like yours was pretty messed up. Hope you can get it fixed. As user friendly as the BB software is, it would be tough for me to give it up, especially with all the features it offers. Good Luck!
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
              The Archers
              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
              The Gandalf's

              Comment


              • #22
                Thanks Kevin,
                they came out okay thank goodness... thanks in part to you're detective work. Gracias, sir! Yup, those PR's look like class all the way.

                I downloaded the latest version of Bass Box after you figured out what was happening. Of course, I purchased the program originally a long time ago, I don't know if that could be part of the issue or not. I'm not sure how much an 'update' replaces the original program. At any rate, it still 'glitches out' on me from time to time since I did the reinstall. I have figured out how to 'fiddle' with it to get it back on track.

                I'm trying to learn WinISD and I think I feel comfortable with it enough to trust it.... but it gives you only volume... it's up to you to figure out cabinet dimensions and convert raw cu. ft. or liters to an actual box shape. For my next project I'm using WinISD to do the box sim and Bass Box Pro to actually figure out how to shape the box into the amount of liters available for the design. It works fine as long as I keep everything in the same folder so I don't forget where things are!

                TomZ
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

                *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

                  I'm trying to learn WinISD and I think I feel comfortable with it enough to trust it.... but it gives you only volume... it's up to you to figure out cabinet dimensions and convert raw cu. ft. or liters to an actual box shape. For my next project I'm using WinISD to do the box sim and Bass Box Pro to actually figure out how to shape the box into the amount of liters available for the design. It works fine as long as I keep everything in the same folder so I don't forget where things are!

                  TomZ
                  Sounds like your about ready for the next step, 3D solid modeling. This is the software I recommended to Brian. It's free for students, educators and teachers. I think you qualify but you might have to stretch the truth a little about how old your students are and what you're teaching.

                  https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...hers-educators

                  If you've used Sketchup which I know you have, you're capable of learning this stuff. There will be a learning curve to get efficient at it, but if you stick with it, the sky's the limit. When you find a little free time, play around with it some and see what you think. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                  The Archers
                  Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                  The Gandalf's

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    thanks for the link kevin! i came across this on their site, its a 1yr license for startup/hobbyist's
                    https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/free-trial

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Mike E View Post
                      thanks for the link kevin! i came across this on their site, its a 1yr license for startup/hobbyist's
                      https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/free-trial
                      Awesome, thanks Mike!
                      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                      Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                      The Archers
                      Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                      The Gandalf's

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Cooll idea on the aluminum tape!
                        -Kerry

                        www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Those look great! I've become a huge fan of those little 6.5" subs. They're, for lack of a better word, adorable. There are some great ideas in here that I'm going to steal. I would never have thought of the aluminum tape trick ...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

                            Sounds like your about ready for the next step, 3D solid modeling. This is the software I recommended to Brian. It's free for students, educators and teachers. I think you qualify but you might have to stretch the truth a little about how old your students are and what you're teaching.

                            https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...hers-educators

                            If you've used Sketchup which I know you have, you're capable of learning this stuff. There will be a learning curve to get efficient at it, but if you stick with it, the sky's the limit. When you find a little free time, play around with it some and see what you think. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
                            Oh no, more stuff to learn! I'll check it out when I get a little free time. Thanks for the link.

                            Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                            Cooll idea on the aluminum tape!
                            Thanks. It looks pretty convincing, though it's probably not going to be durable like your sign stand-offs are. That was a good idea, too.

                            Originally posted by OldBeginner View Post
                            Those look great! I've become a huge fan of those little 6.5" subs. They're, for lack of a better word, adorable. There are some great ideas in here that I'm going to steal. I would never have thought of the aluminum tape trick ...
                            They are probably one of the best small subs that exist. It can do things that make you smile! And steal away, I probably got most of these ideas from others on this very board! Two or three layers of tape may be needed as it would cover any minor imperfections better. I'm thinking of going another layer or two on mine as I can see a few little 'buggers' in the plywood underneath.

                            TomZ

                            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

                            *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                              Thanks. It looks pretty convincing, though it's probably not going to be durable like your sign stand-offs are. That was a good idea, too.

                              TomZ
                              Yeah, but yours aren't out in the open, so I doubt durability is a huge concern. The only time they'll ever get touched is if you dust between the cab and the base.
                              -Kerry

                              www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Nice work, Tom. I'm especially a fan of the smaller box.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X