Project #2: The 'Tenacious Bass 6' and 'Tenacious Bass 8' Subwoofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whew! Exellent write-up.

Finally got to read it all. These turned out great as usual, tom. Either one would pair well with the ACG!

Comment

Thanks for the detailed writeup Tom! I am a major fan of your "outtakes", as they help illustrate the problem solving aspect of speaker builds. Despite those setbacks being a "negative" thing, It's always good to show the benefits of clear thinking and working around the problems. You make a great point about being patient and waiting a few weeks before going in for the final finish to allow the project to grow and avoid ghosting on the veneer work. I'm wondering if the same thing applies to baltic birch cabinets too... Never built with the stuff yet, but as you know it's in the works.
      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
      The Super Bees - Garage 2 way

Comment

Great write-up! I really love the design of that Tenacious Bass 8! May consider building one of them eventually!

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments guys. You're too nice, I was expecting a few "botched it up, didn't you you knucklehead!" comments. Thanks for taking it easy on me.

I have another subwoofer project planned for a friend of mine, but after showing him this project/s and asking him which look he liked better, he said he liked the look of the larger Tenacious Bass 8 cabinet a bit better. His design will use the Dayton RS series 8" subwoofer facing rear. I'm going with twins for him, they'll be two of them powered by a Crown pro-amp.

That project should be starting up shortly in a week or two.

TomZ

*Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

​I built the Tenacious Bass 6 for my computer speaker system. Quartered Cherry paper back veneer, 1" radius on fronts, iron on glue method, semi-gloss polyurethane and semi-gloss black spray paint, removable spikes for carpet use. I put a 3/8" round over on the front edge of the vent cutout in the bottom of the cabinet where it makes the turn to run to the front of the cabinet. I was as careful as possible to keep glue squeeze out in the vent to a minimum. The cabinet damping was a little vague in the description so I started with the recommended 26" square bonded dacron sheet (about 1" thick) and cut it up to line the sides with one layer, then the bottom with 4 layers -2 notched to not block the driver vents, one layer on the vent face just behind the driver but not blocking the top edge of the vent and 2 layers on the top above the vent and driver. It used up all but about 6"x17" of the original 26"x26" piece. More than that seemed like it was filling the box too much. I really haven't done much testing but I haven't noticed any vent noise. The sound is great and quite good for a 6" sub. It really fills in the small 4" woofers/1/2" tweeters on the computer speakers I built years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by acornsbosn View Post
              ​I built the Tenacious Bass 6 for my computer speaker system. Quartered Cherry paper back veneer, 1" radius on fronts, iron on glue method, semi-gloss polyurethane and semi-gloss black spray paint, removable spikes for carpet use. I put a 3/8" round over on the front edge of the vent cutout in the bottom of the cabinet where it makes the turn to run to the front of the cabinet. I was as careful as possible to keep glue squeeze out in the vent to a minimum. The cabinet damping was a little vague in the description so I started with the recommended 26" square bonded dacron sheet (about 1" thick) and cut it up to line the sides with one layer, then the bottom with 4 layers -2 notched to not block the driver vents, one layer on the vent face just behind the driver but not blocking the top edge of the vent and 2 layers on the top above the vent and driver. It used up all but about 6"x17" of the original 26"x26" piece. More than that seemed like it was filling the box too much. I really haven't done much testing but I haven't noticed any vent noise. The sound is great and quite good for a 6" sub. It really fills in the small 4" woofers/1/2" tweeters on the computer speakers I built years ago.
              That came out fantastic looking, I love your choice of veneer too. The vent stuffing was really just to calm down the external chuffing. There wasn't much, but the stuffing calmed things down a bit more.

Basically the poly batting I used is the cheapy stuff from Wal*Mart and is formed as a thickness of approx. 1.5" thick or so rolled up... I used this because it stays together better than the loose fluffy stuff... important near a vent with fast-moving air exiting it.

I cut a 26" x 26" piece of it, then folded that in half, and then I folded that half into thirds to make a 'brick' of it basically, then I squished it into the top of the woofer compartment to loosely fill that area on top of the woofer as well as the vent exit area. As long as you didn't put so much in that you constrict air flow or change the box volume, you should be fine. I would think that could be adjusted to taste a bit as well. It sounds like you got that part figured out fine.

I'm glad you found it to be a good performer. I don't notice any vent noise on mine unless there is some real low bass content played at a fairly loud volume, that that's only if I get pretty close to it. I suspect many subwoofers produce similar results at their extremes.

Your finished product came out really nice! My wife was walking by and said... 'hey, that's your speaker!' when she saw the screen, then she said, 'oooh, I like that veneer!' At least you have my wife's WAF taken care of!

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Beautiful work. The design is super unique. I can easily see it being a showpiece in my office whilst also bringing up the bottom end of two standmounts...

Does the vent length on the tenacious 6 also include the bottom area of the enclosure? Or is that just the area exposed to the outside and you're showing direction of flow in your image? Curious because I want to play around with these small drivers one day, and never truly understand the vent situation. You may have already mentioned it, and I apologize if so.

Comment

Originally posted by jcsmith0919 View Post
                  Beautiful work. The design is super unique. I can easily see it being a showpiece in my office whilst also bringing up the bottom end of two standmounts...

Does the vent length on the tenacious 6 also include the bottom area of the enclosure? Or is that just the area exposed to the outside and you're showing direction of flow in your image? Curious because I want to play around with these small drivers one day, and never truly understand the vent situation. You may have already mentioned it, and I apologize if so.
                  Thanks for the thumbs-up.
                  The total vent length includes the area between the base and main cabinet. If you look close at a few of the pics, you can see the small black boards between the cabinet and base that make up the rest of the vent length. Yup, that's part of the vent, it exits in front where the big curves are. It's a lot of vent length to squeeze into a smallish box so I got creative.

TomZ

Comment

Working...
                  X