My first from-scratch speaker project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first from-scratch speaker project

So I built this pair off the cuff in foam core using the TL alignment tables by Martin J King. I used the buyout HiWave BMR's, and the line is "tuned" to 100 Hz, poly-filled for the first 3rd or so. I powered these with the Dayton 15 watt per channel Bluetooth amp, probably going to fry it since the HiWave's are in parallel @ 4 ohms total per channel. I don't​ have any squiggly lines to show you, but it sounds pretty good to my military-damaged ears, if a bit shouty in the midrange.

Don't berate me too hard.

I look forward to advancing my speaker building abilities. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Berate? That's pretty cool actually. You built a speaker with an X-acto knife! I bet some of the genius's here can guide you to an easy filter to tame the shoutyness a bit.

What did you use to glue it up? I've tried hot melt but sometimes it'll melt the foam on me. And what are the screws going into? Does the foam board vibrate much? I wouldn't think too much since the TL braces things pretty much. Is this a desktop setup?

You can always do it up in plywood or MDF later on if you want. I like it!

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback. I used hot melt to glue it up. I didn't have problems melting the foam, but working time before it hardened was a challenge. The most challenging part was gluing on the last side panel after the TL was made. The screws hold the driver flanges between layers of foam core, since that seemed the cleanest way to mount them. And no, the walls don't resonate much at all, I was pretty generous with bracing including the walls of the TL.

Comment

Neato!!
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Very cool! I can't think of the number but there is a Loctite glue that works with that kind of foam. I used to build small remote control aircraft with it. I'll repost if I remember.

I remembered. there is probably many more options but I know Loctite 412 works.
          Last edited by Edaniel; 04-29-2017, 12:13 AM. Reason: I remembered

Comment

If you are running them in parallel per cab, then throw a 1.5-2mH coil from the driver1 (top) positive to driver2 (bottom) positive terminal. This will lowpass the lower driver, effectively give you some BSC, and reduce the shout.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Would love to hear them and it does sound like a BSC issue.
              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Thanks for the BSC tip. I could probably go with pretty cheap inductors too, since I'm only putting 15 watts max to these, right?

Comment

You sure could, but avoid the rod-cored types. an inexpensive 20AWG or even I-core (steel laminate) would likely suffice, and the I-core is likely cheaper.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

#257-552 or #257-554

Comment

Foamcore is a great material, especially for small speakers. Larger systems are more challenging but can be done. Corner reinforcement for any larger boxes is a must.

Comment

I was inspired by the foamcore projects I found on diyAudio. I kinda want to build a Cornu spiral horn next with some TC9's or something.

Comment

Very cool idea!

Comment

Working...
                          X