Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished: Adire Audio 641 3-ways

Hi All,

I finished these speakers earlier this year, but hadn't got around to posting them.
    I started the matching speaker stands and these speakers in 2015, but things got in the way...nothing new to any of you here.

I used some pre-veneered, ribbon-stripped mahogany MDF I bought from a guy on Craigslist a few years ago. Very nice stuff and I bought several sheets.
    I still have enough to build a matching stereo console to finish the whole vinyl setup, but that will be a project for later...

I had some solid mahogany to use on the outside baffles. I confirmed that I do not like to use matching veneer and hardwood baffles, not enough contrast for my tastes.
    Especially in the bedroom I have these setup in, the lighting isn't bright enough to show the grain well.

I bought this speaker kit 2nd hand (drivers and assembled XOs). There were issues with them from the start. The tweeter domes were smashed, but I was able to massage them out to almost smooth.
    I haven't heard any issues and don't have measuring tools to see if anything is wrong with them, so I am using them as is. The XOs were strange too, they used different types of wire and different gauges, like they were not made by the same person. They were also non-functional with broken solder connections and different caps in some spots, very strange.
    I ended up rebuilding them on new boards from the original XO design.

I ended up making a mistake on the outer baffles when I was putting the 3/4" roundover on the edges. The board slipped under the bearing on one edge and I didn't notice until i had gone a ways...sigh.
    I was able top sand it smooth and fudge it over a little to "average" the uncovered box edge. Oh well, things happen in DIY.

Once they are in the room and playing, I really like them a lot. They have great bass for small-ish stand-mount speaker. With low content some-what limited on vinyl, they work very well in that room and the stands allow record storage as well. They are smooth and not harsh or bright to me (the way I like it). All in all, they are a great fit for that room. I use a re-capped Sansui 9090 and Thorens 145 M2 TT with them.

Best regards, Andy.

Build pictures here: http://s126.photobucket.com/user/akr...?sort=9&page=1

Very classy. Love ribbon mahogany and your cabinet work is beautiful.

Comment

I really like the looks of that wood. Nice.
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Gorgeous. I didn't click the link, but any info on the drivers?
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Gotta love solid wood baffles! And that's a great space saving idea for the LP's, I;ve been looking for a way to integrate mine into my audio room.

David

Comment

Thanks All,

Joey, the drivers are the ADIRE AUDIO® EXTREMIS 6.8, the CSS WR125S and the Usher 9950C-15. Very nearly full-range in a small-ish 3-way.
            I like what i hear so far, smooth and reasonable detail, but all i have run through them is vinyl so far, no CDs (most of the vinyl has been old school discs, too).

Not likely to give up the vinyl, but I am thinking of selling this rig and going modern vinyl, though. Maybe an Outlaw RR2150 and newer TT along with my Oppo DV-983H, or something.

Andy.

Comment

Very nice looking speaker. Good job.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Nice cabs, Love the rich mahogany! ;)
                Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

What a wonderful arrangement of drivers. Fantastic on the eyes and ears I'm sure....
                  Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                  X