No announcement yet.

MiniDSP + 3-way Paper Cone RS Speakers = Awesome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I have decided on exact design and size. It will have a solid Corian baffle top and bottom with veneered sides. Not sure which veneer but something exotic
    ​like Rosewood or Koa with solid wood banding as an accent. X-over will be passive and done with a little help from my friends.

Comment

Thanks Sydney for the link. I hadn't considered the idea of adjusting phase response in the same manner as adjusting frequency response. Pretty wild stuff. While I haven't had a chance to try it out, I was able to get some regular FR and phase plots of my most current miniDSP settings. I am going to leave these settings for now while I just listen and see how they sound. This is a pretty vanilla crossover with just some mild PEQ settings for each driver just to achieve maximum flatness. I used the target crossover option in REW and let it do the rest. I loaded the calculated filter settings and retested and voila, measured response matches the predicted! All plots are shown with 1/6 smoothing on. Measurements were taken at 12" from the center of the upper cabinet approximately 36" from the floor in the listening room.

miniDSP settings are as follows:
      • RS225P Lowpass at 200 Hz, 24 dB LR, 0.0 dB gain
      • RS180P Bandpass at 200 and 2,000 Hz, 24 dB LR, -6.0 dB gain
      • RS28F Highpass at 2,000 Hz, 24 dB LR, - 6.0 dB gain, and 0.08 msec delay
      The plots are titled what each measurement is. Basically I did the tweeter, the mid, the mid+tweeter, the woofers, the woofers + mid and then the entire speaker. Phase and FR shown for each one. So I didn't do any tuning for phase, just FR. The phase plots don't look completely out of wack, everything in-band looks normal I think. I also did a bunch of measurements with Bessel filters and the only real difference in the measurements that I could see was the slope of the phase was shallower, especially near the crossover point. Instead of wrapping 360 two times it didn't even wrap once. If I were looking at phase alone, the Bessel looked better, if flatter phase is the goal. FR plots between the two filters looked nearly the same though, and I couldn't hear a definitive different between the different filters either, all other things being equal. But like I mentioned early, the miniDSP plug-in is not A/B friendly. By the time I had set and reset all 3 channels, low pass and high pass for both sets of speakers, my brain had already forgot what the previous settings sounded like. I didn't play around too much though with it. I liked the Bessel filter's overall response, it sounded fine. And the phase linearity/flatness was clearly better. But I went back to the tried and true LR instead.

Let me know if there are any other plots you'd like to see. I've got the distortion plots, impulse plots, decay, whatever REW can do. There was a time when I never even measured the speakers I finished, it was all by ear and when it sounded good enough, well that was good enough! Now I hardly know what to do with all the data I can get out of a new pair of speakers. It boggles the mind...

Click image for larger version

Name:	RS28F HIGH-PASS 2 kHz LR 24 dB.png
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1332760 Click image for larger version

Name:	RS180P BANDPASS 200 and 2 kHz 24 dB LR.png
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1332761 Click image for larger version

Name:	RS225P LOW PASS at 200 Hz 24 dB LR.png
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1332762 Click image for larger version

Name:	(2) RS225P  + RS180P + RS28F 2 kHz LR Filters with PEQ Summed.png
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1332763 Click image for larger version

Name:	(2) RS225P  + RS180P + RS28F 2 kHz LR Filters with PEQ.png
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1332764

Comment

Originally posted by danmarx View Post
        Thanks Sydney for the link. I hadn't considered the idea of adjusting phase response in the same manner as adjusting frequency response. Pretty wild stuff. While I haven't had a chance to try it out, ...
        Hope you have an opportunity to do so; addressing such issues is one of the large advantages of DSP.
        Last edited by Sydney; Today, 10:22 AM.
        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
        X