No Name - 2-way bookshelf speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Name - 2-way bookshelf speaker

After thinking, and tinkering and learning and designing and researching for the past 6-8 months I finally finalized my first from scratch 2-way speaker design. It has been a long journey which is hopefully wrapping up in the next 2 weeks or so (time permitting). I still have not quite decided on a name yet, so for now it will have to do without. As I don't own a measuring mic yet, the drivers frequency responses were taking from the manufacturers websites. The modeling was done in PCD and Response modeler. Some of you might remember the long drawn out thread that got me started on this journey ( http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...6-dayton-dc28f ). Much more learning has been done since then, and even though I realize that there are probably still improvements that can be made, I can't wait to get these speakers up and running. The next few days I will post pictures from the build, which is already in the stages of priming, sanding and painting (Oh how much fun!) The drivers used are the Fountek FW146 and the Peerless BC25TG15-04. Thank you to this wonderful community, which helped me come this far.

Update: Finally decided on a name for the speakers. May I introduce to you the SilverNote.
    Also thanks to the wisdom of this community I ended up changing the crossover slightly to avoid the speakers to be to "forward" sounding.
    Last edited by crossbound; 05-12-2017, 06:45 PM.

Great to see you moving forward with these! I learned a lot from your thread!

Comment

This time around I was lucky enough to use the table saw at my local hacker space that a friend of mine is part of. Made for easy break down of the MDF boards. And best of all: cuts were straight and at a right angle all around!! Made for a much easier by glue up. Unlike my previous circular saw speaker builds :-). At the same time while building these speakers, I'm also finishing out my Overnight Sensation home theater system with an OS MTM center channel.

Comment

Few days later, back home, it's time for glue up. One box at a time, due to limited clamp supplies.

Comment

Nice crossover work- have you considered including baffle step compensation?

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
            Nice crossover work- have you considered including baffle step compensation?
            I modelled the baffle step in response modeller. Is there anything else I needed to do?

Comment

Cutting a rabbet for the back cover and glueing in corners. The rabbet is wide enough for a 3/8 inch gasket.
              Then I created a template to flush trim the round corners for the backs.

Comment

NIce work! I like the creation of the build log here once the tires hit the road so to speak. I've tended to do big build logs in the TT forum, then have to muster the energy to post something here as finished (which I've yet to do on my last 3 little projects).

Very good woodworking so far. Do you have measurement capability to see how close you match up with the models when they're done?

Also, the addition of that board on the bottom of the router is an idea so simple I should smack myself in the face for not doing that. I really goobered up the round overs on my last cabinet trying to hand support a router as it came to the corners of the cabinet.
                Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
                  NIce work! I like the creation of the build log here once the tires hit the road so to speak. I've tended to do big build logs in the TT forum, then have to muster the energy to post something here as finished (which I've yet to do on my last 3 little projects).

Very good woodworking so far. Do you have measurement capability to see how close you match up with the models when they're done?

Also, the addition of that board on the bottom of the router is an idea so simple I should smack myself in the face for not doing that. I really goobered up the round overs on my last cabinet trying to hand support a router as it came to the corners of the cabinet.

Thank you Wogg!
                  At this point in time I do not own a measuring mic. But the plan is to get a UMM-6 and build one of those boxes to measure T/S parameters, before my next project.
                  The idea for the board as router base I came across a while back in some YouTube video and it definitely helps. I couldn't have done the rabbets without it. Best option when a router table is not available.

Comment

Nice write up. Good drivers also.
                    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Routing driver cut outs and first test fit.

Comment

Internal brace pre-cut with jig saw and flush trimmed. After first one was done second one was attached to first with double sided tape and trimmed as well.

Comment

After glueing on the baffle it was the first time I could screw the drives in place and get an idea what it's gonna look like in real life.
                          Also cut the holes for the port and test fit

Comment

Time to layout the crossover

Comment

Looking good! One suggestion is to put a bit of glue (hot glue is fine) on the crossover components to prevent them from buzzing against the board.
                              Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X