The Peanuts my MWAF 2017 entry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Peanuts my MWAF 2017 entry

These are the peanuts, and grew out of my desire to use a waveguide in a build. They use the Hivi m8n and Dayton rs28a in an aluminum waveguide that I turned on my lathe. The waveguide started life as a 2" x 8" dia chunk of aluminum, and the cabinets are a plywood skeleton covered in three layers of 1/8" mdf that was kerfed to allow the tight bend.
    Makore and red oak veneer

The crossover point is about 1050hz

Comment

It looks really nice! Did you CNC it or use a template?
      All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

Comment

I used a template for the cabinet, and a pattern follower on the lathe.

Comment

Amazing work! That's a serious waveguide. Love the veneer inlays too. Wish I had been able to see and hear them in person.
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Excellent work, Nick! And congratulations on your 1st place finish! Very well deserved! If I did not know better, I would have guessed that that wave guide was machined and polished out from a solid block of aluminum. Incredible finishing work. Edit: Oh, wait, I just re-read your description. That was machined out of a solid block of aluminum. So the waveguide on one speaker at InDIYana must have been a wooden prototype. My mistake.

Bill
            Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build
            Plan-Tanic: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ght=Plan-Tanic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
              Excellent work, Nick! And congratulations on your 1st place finish! Very well deserved! If I did not know better, I would have guessed that that wave guide was machined and polished out from a solid block of aluminum. Incredible finishing work. Edit: Oh, wait, I just re-read your description. That was machined out of a solid block of aluminum. So the waveguide on one speaker at InDIYana must have been a wooden prototype. My mistake.

Bill
              Yeah Bill the one at indiyana was one of many prototypes, I found that I could knockout a mdf version in no time, but the aluminum ones are about 4-5 hours and much more expensive.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Comment

I really enjoyed these Nick, they sounded great! Your craftsmanship was top notch also, beautiful work.
                My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                The Archers
                Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                The Gandalf's

Comment

I generally like a brighter sound, so I was really surprised how much I liked their sound. These sounded smooooooooth! They also sounded 10x better than they did at InDIYana. Amazing furniture work, and that's an understatement.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah Brian, I know you like brighter but I go for flat. The reason they sounded ok to you may be their off axis response. Kevin I can't compete with cnc, but I enjoy myself.
                    Last edited by ugly woofer; 07-25-2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X