Cube Cubed - a Passive Radiator Subwoofer Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cube Cubed - a Passive Radiator Subwoofer Build

I have always loved passive radiators, so I thought I would finally do a build log along with all the parts needed. Thanks to Parts Express, I am able to bring one of these Passive Radiator Builds to life. My goal was to make a small subwoofer that would still have high spl, for a smaller room all while keeping the cost of the major parts under $200. As I looked around, I haven't found many great subs in that price range, so I thought DIY work might give the best bang for the buck. Here's a list of all the parts chosen for this project along with links:

Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm
    2 - Dayton Audio SD215-PR 8" Passive Radiator
    Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
    Harrison Labs FMOD Inline Crossover Pair 30 Hz High Pass RCA

I didn't have a separate DSP, so I had to go with an FMOD for the High pass to protect the woofer from over excursion. I did test it, and it was an issue. Although, if you have a DSP you would not need the FMOD. The total cost with the FMod is $190.

The Enclosure is a very small footprint sitting at a 14" cube with 3/4" MDF or a 13.5" cube using 1/2" MDF. So it is a great footprint for a small room.

The next post will have the theoretical response before room gain via WinISD. I will say, I have tested this by playing test tones through it and it blew me away. I was very pleased with the SPL this thing can put put out, especially for it's size.
    All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

Theoretical Frequency Response with no added mass in a 1 cubic foot cabinet.

Theoretical SPL using 100 watt amplifier (106DB)

Cone Excursion without a High Pass

Cone Excursion with 30hz High Pass

Once I have broken it in, I'll post the actual graphs via REW and my UMIK1.

Comment

Finished Pictures: I may repaint it. My wife likes it so much, she wants it in the living room. That means, it'll need to be white. Oh well..

Size and Cutouts:

Comment

I hope you wired them in series for that plate amp, but that means you only get 50W.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          I hope you wired them in series for that plate amp, but that means you only get 50W.

Later,
          Wolf
          He's only got a single active coil in there on the DCS205-4.
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music

Comment

Wolf Thanks for checking it out. I know how smart and helpful you are, so I know it was just an oversight, but wogg is correct. I only used a single DCS205-4 with 2 SD215-PR's with no weight added to tune it to about 40hz. Although, maybe I should double stack it it with 4 PR's and the Dayton 250w amplifier. Now that would be something!

Comment

I thought sure I read your list/BOM with 2 active DCS205 drivers. My bad.
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Gotta give props to a wife who loves bass!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                  Gotta give props to a wife who loves bass!

Haha, nice! I guess I am rubbing off on her

Comment

Cool build and very nice price point. Thanks for the write up and video too - I know i've come by some of your other vids in the past and found them helpful... the sprite build I think.

Comment

Thanks hittheskids. I really appreciate knowing they help someone.

I did really enjoy this build. I was just listening to it in my living room, which I think is it's permanent placement and it still brings a smile to my face. So small, yet so clean and clear with nice defined bass.

Comment

This place needs more sub builds and at that value priced. Nice looking build!

Comment

careyink Thank You! I agree. I love watching all the really expensive subwoofer builds, but it is nice to have builds that I can actually afford, lol. Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                          X