Finished: 4th set of Wolf's PC speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished: 4th set of Wolf's PC speakers

I whipped up a set of Wolf's PC speakers for my middle daughter to take back to college. My last set of the drivers and my last little Lepei amp.
    They make a nice little stereo for a college room and sound great. Much like the set I made for my cousin's fishing cabin, I used a left over hard wood flooring board from my MIL's new floor (acacia wood).
    This is the first set of speakers I was able to complete in a day. It helps that there is no finish work on them ;-)

Once again, thanks to Wolf for the great design and to all the designers for their willingness to share with us all.

Andy.

Last edited by andykriech; 08-20-2017, 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling...

Really nice! All those miters look tricky... Nice work getting them to all line up. Great gift for your daughter, I'm sure she's gonna love them!

Quick question: did you run a chamfer bit over all the edges after assembly?

Comment

Is the cap in these just to prevent too much low frequency energy from reaching the driver?

Comment

Thanks Fish...Yes, I ran the boxes against a chamfer bit in my router table to get the bevel once they were glued up. This means the miters don't have to be perfect since you cut off the edges.
        With the wood being prefinished, this is about the only way I could think of to complete them easily.

The flooring was "hand scraped" meaning there are subtle undulations in the finished surface (you can see this in the 3rd picture).
        This means the miters won't line up exactly even if your saw is aligned perfectly (which mine isn't quite), hence the usage of the chamfer to ease and align the edges.

Phil, Wolf would be best to answer this, but I believe the cap helps the low end. If you look up his original write up for these, he explains it there.

Here is a pic of them sitting on top of SSehlin's Lithiums and getting a first listen...

Thanks, Andy.
        Last edited by andykriech; 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling...again

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
          Is the cap in these just to prevent too much low frequency energy from reaching the driver?
          It's a Passive Assist design.
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Wolf
            ​Looks like an electrolytic cap. Wolf, have you tried using a "bypass cap" across the electrolytic cap's terminals to see there's any noticeable or measureable improvement in how the speaker sounds?
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Wolf
              Edit: Forget it, I found a Wolf reference to the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and interestingly enough I had dug an old copy out a few days ago and was able to read-up on the design there.

Very interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

​Looks like an electrolytic cap. Wolf, have you tried using a "bypass cap" across the electrolytic cap's terminals to see there's any noticeable or measureable improvement in how the speaker sounds?
                That is a good Q. I seem to remember a discussion (here I think) indicating bypass caps didn't do anything because most of the signal would pass through the big cap and not the bypass.

But I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X