Speaker stuffing and cabinet bracing questions for Overnight Sensations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker stuffing and cabinet bracing questions for Overnight Sensations

I've completed my OS build and all that's left to do is glue down the baffle. Before I make things permanent, I had the following questions:

1) Polyfill - How much is good enough? I've read similar questions and the answer always comes back "whatever sounds good to you", but surely there's a rule of thumb? Also, the advice of a "handful" of stuffing is a problematic measurement. Does anyone have a weight recommendation?

2) When it comes to placing the stuffing, does it matter if it's stuffed against the rear wall? Or should it be lofted to fill the entire internal space?

3) Are there any mechanical cons (heat?) to putting in too much stuffing? Is this a significant concern for these speakers?

4) Is there anything gained by adding bracing to the cabinet, or is this not important for this build?

Thanks!

1- I don't know an exact amount to give you. The best you can do is trial and error, see what sounds good to you and put equal amounts in each speaker.
    2- Place the fill behind the woofer.
    3- Heat build up would only be a possible concern if the fill was up tight to the resistors
    4- It couldn't hurt to add a dowel in between the side panels, but isn't necessary for this build.

Post some pics when your done

Comment

And...

5- This is the Speaker Project Gallery for finished photos and links to write-ups. Queries should be made in the TechTalk forum.

Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
      X