Going after JaWZ!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going after JaWZ!

I attended MWAF for the first time last July. I wanted to hear some speakers to get a direction for a new set. I have discovered that the sonic trait I value most is life-like dynamics. E.g., rimshots, guitar plucks, even vocal inflections that are not compressed at all. To me, that gives the most life-like sound. I met Javad. In talking with him and hearing his speakers, I decided to go with a compression driver. I also met Wolf. He lives very close and has been a great help. Prior to going to MWAF, I had been talking with GodZilla about something with a compression driver. They have all been a huge help and influence on this project, so Im calling the speakers: JaWZ.

I'm making an MTM using:
    FaitalPRO 8FE200 8" Professional Midbass 8 Ohm
    B&C DE250-8 1" Polyimide Horn Driver 8 Ohm
    SEOS-10 Waveguide

These will go down to 90-100hz. I will augment with subs. Initially one of my home theater subs. (A DIY sealed sub with 12 TC Sounds driver that Rick Craig of Selah Audio designed for me.) As soon as these are done, I will build 3-4 subs to place around my room to give smooth bass response, similar to the AudioKinesis Swarm.
    I was going to go bookshelf, but since I would have to build stands, I decided to just do towers. They will be more steady anyway. We have several dogs who like to play; I don't want them getting knocked over. External dimensions are 49 H (when the base is attached); 12.5 W; 10 D. Im going for 1.75 cu ft internal volume, so I will seal off the bottom of the enclosure to get that on the top.
    The box is plywood. I will stain the main box, then use the piece of solid poplar (in the separate picture) for the front baffle. The other poplar plank in the 'group' picture is one I found at HD. I haven't had luck finding wood with nice grain there. (I got the separate one at a specialty lumber place with a great selection.) For some reason, the HD checkout girl gave me a discount. I basically got it for free! I will probably use it for the multiple subs.
    I had Home Depot do my first cuts. I knew they would not be totally precise, but the fronts & backs have overhang that I will trim with a router, so they didn't need to be exact. The four sides were not exactly the same width, but close enough that I was able to match two for each speaker. So, it all worked out - and saved me a lot of time!
    I'm looking forward to sharing my progress!
    Poplar plank for front baffles Back from Home Depot Let the gluing begin!

Looking good Steve glad to see this coming together! Javad
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

​So, I'm making progress, but slowly. Posting has been even slower, but time to catch up...

Forgot to include my 'master plan' I always start with. It is subject to change (or being redone when the dog eats it - as she did for the matching subs)

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Plans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	1353594

Comment

When I started, I didn't have a router. (I've added several very useful tools along the way). So, I used brace supports vs. dado joints for the braces.

Name:	5 Brace supports 1.jpg
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	1353596 Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Brace supports 2.jpg
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1353597

Comment

Next, the braces themselves. It is an MTM design. Those 3 sections are all part of the main enclosure. The bottom will be sealed off, and hold the xover.

Name:	6 Braces 2.jpg
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	1353599 Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Braces 1.jpg
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	1353600

I added a layer of MDF at the bottom of each speaker to help with stability. As you can see, I had one solid piece and then some other scraps. I hate to waste!

Comment

Remember how I said I bought some useful tools along the way. This was before I had any long clamps. My dad sells yard-ornament concrete and had dropped some off at our house. Whatever it takes! This is gluing the front baffle. ... The box is 3/4" Red Oak plywood. Click image for larger version

Name:	7a Gluing front with concrete.jpg
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	1353602

Comment

I cut the front baffle piece wide. This is flush-trimming it.

Name:	7b Routering front.jpg
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	1353604

And this is what happens when the router bit throws its guide bearing.

Name:	7c router bit damage.jpg
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	1353605

I've had various ideas and suggestion for how to cover this up. I may just end up using some wood putty. ... I think if my 'speaker line' had a name, it would be 'Real Life Speakers.' In terms of sound, I want real life 'in the room' dynamics. That's why I'm going with a CD/waveguide and pro drivers. Also, I'm not the best woodworker, so there are always 'issues' when you look close. But, the speakers perform well. Sort of like, real life. We've all got issues when you look close!

Comment

For the front baffles, I'm attaching a piece of poplar at the top, where the drivers are. I got this nice piece, but it needs to be cut and glued together to get the right size.

Name:	10 Poplar - marking.jpg
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	1353609 Click image for larger version

Name:	11 Poplar baffles - glued.jpg
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	1353610

You can see what I was using for a 'workbench' in the left photo!

Comment

Time to cut driver holes in the plywood layer.

Name:	12 Holes for drivers.jpg
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	1353612

I didn't router the back of the plywood, so I made some cutouts to let the speaker 'breath.' Don't know how much it really helps, but might as well! I left 'tabs' for the screws, so they could go through the poplar, into plywood.

Name:	14 Breathing room cutouts.jpg
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1353613

Comment

I decided I needed some upgrades... No more concrete yard ornaments. I've got clamps! AND, an actual workbench. This is attaching the poplar piece to the front baffle.

Name:	15 Clamping poplar baffle.jpg
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	1353616

Comment

You always love it when these show up at your door!

Name:	9 Parts Express box.jpg
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	1353618

I went with drivers that JavadS had used and recommended.

FaitalPRO 8FE2000 8" Professional Midbass 8 Ohm
                      B& C DE250-8 1" Polyimide Horn Driver 8 Ohm
                      SEOS 10" Waveguide

Name:	16 Drivers in cutouts.jpg
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	1353619

Starting to come together!

Comment

I'm putting denim insulation on the back wall. I'll fill the cabinet with acoustic stuffing.

Name:	17 Denim insulation.jpg
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	1353621

I'm using aperiodic vents, per Wolf's recommendation. You can see one of the shower drain covers I'm using in the upper left.

Comment

I wasn't ready to glue the back on when we did measurements for the xover. That's the reason for the clamps. ... "We" being Wolf - with me just being a gopher! He is building the xover. I don't know a capacitor from a coil!

Name:	17 Measuring for Xover.jpg
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1353623

In the background, you can see a sub Rick Craig of Selah Audio designed for me using an 8" SB Acoustics driver. I told my daughter she could paint it. We had recently moved to Indiana from Arizona (where she has always lived). She's more than a little homesick.

Comment

I later got things ready to glue the backs on. It sure is nice to have clamps...

Name:	18 Gluing back.jpg
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	1353625

Comment

The speakers will go down to about 76hz, so I need subs. Rick from Selah has designed two subs for me prior that sound great, so I asked him. I found some more nice poplar to match the mains.

Name:	19 Spacing sub holes.jpg
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	1353627

That's a 12" SB Acoustics driver. ... Since Rick is helping with the subs, the name of the speaker set is now 'JaWZ Pause.' ('Selah' is a term found in the Bible book of Psalms. Scholars aren't sure what it means, but one thought is it indicates a pause in the singing (Psalms are songs))

Comment

Working...
                              X