Dayton Diy Soundbar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Diy Soundbar

I have a living room that had a really cheap Samsung sound bar that we picked up with a gift card a few years back. But I have always wanted to design and build a soundbar from scratch. So recently I did just that.

Goal: Is to have a soundbar that sounds great and is compact for most living rooms. I also wanted it to be aesthetically pleasing. With this is mind, I wanted it about 4" in height and length 36" or shorter. I also didn't really want frequencies below 90hz, as I planned to use a separate subwoofer with it. With those design goals in mind, I started picking out the drivers.2 x

Parts Used:

4x Dayton ND65-8
    2x Dayton ND25FA-4
    Dayton 2x15 Amp (I may upgrade this, but I had this on hand)

Materials Used:
    1/4" MDF (doubled in the speaker enclosure)
    1/4" Walnut Baffle (doubled in the speaker enclosure)

Final Picture:
    All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

Theoretical Response:

Current Response with Current Crossover:

Comment

Nice, looks like you nailed the xover. I'm wondering how long before my youngest daughter asks for something similar for the condo she is buying next week.
      It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Thanks Matt! I have worked a long time at that crossover. I think it is pretty much where I want it. I may still do a few tweaks. And don't worry, I'll have the schematics and the crossover design out when I am completely satisfied with it, that way you can build one for your daughter ;)

Comment

It looks great!
          Sealed or ported?
          Volume?
          And.. how does it sound? :-)
          ​Thanks

Comment

That's awesome! I wish we saw more soundbars. I'd like to do something similar but incorporate a third center channel as a center.

Comment

That's awesome. I wish we saw more soundbars. I'd like to do something similar but incorporate a third center channel as a center.

Comment

Originally posted by Audiotorium View Post
                It looks great!
                Sealed or ported?
                Volume?
                And.. how does it sound? :-)
                ​Thanks

It is sealed. Each side is about 12 inches long. I'll post some technical drawings soon as well as a crossover schematic. I'll try to get that out to you guys next week.

Comment

Looks really classy.

Extra points for the NES and the 7-up!

Comment

+1, what miau said above. Very classy and might be just right for my home. can't wait to see the schematic and x-over.
                    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

The crossover is very simple. You will be surprised. I do not believe I will be doing anything else to the crossover. I'll have that out along with a build video in a few days.

Comment

This would make a very nice gift for someone this christmas. I just bought a jasper jig i may try it.

It's amazing that a 2.5 inch speaker sounds like anything but a toy.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your work, I love it. kind of fun to see these little woofers get some use. They make that tweeter look huge.

Well done you should be proud.

Comment

Thanks guys! I just finished The video tutorial which has the crossover in it. I'll try to post some pore after work tonight.

Comment

Working...
                            X