No announcement yet.

Dayton Diy Soundbar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the look of these with the white outside and the walnut "inlaid" baffle. Excellent WAF.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Thank you Paul! Believe it or not, the WAF is the only reason my wife allows me to keep it up ;)
      All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

Comment

Hi! I have a naive question (Please don't take it as criticism, your build is terrific)

To me this sound bar seems like an "all in one 2 fronts and a center" speaker where as when I think of soundbar from commercial vendors I think "a long speaker that does all kind of fake surround sound magic".

Is it possible for the home diyer to replicate any of the "fake surround magic" or does it sound just fine with what you've created? Tks

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          Hi! I have a naive question (Please don't take it as criticism, your build is terrific)

To me this sound bar seems like an "all in one 2 fronts and a center" speaker where as when I think of soundbar from commercial vendors I think "a long speaker that does all kind of fake surround sound magic".

Is it possible for the home diyer to replicate any of the "fake surround magic" or does it sound just fine with what you've created? Tks
          That is a great question. I should mention I have actually updated the crossover and I will upload those changes, maybe even later tonight. However, to get back to your question, this really is just a left and right channel (AKA stereo). There are some soundbars that have a surround sound processor in it and will even use a dedicated microphone to get the levels correct. They really are ingenious. However those cost a lot of money, typically over $1000 (yamaha always made some really unique soundbars).

But most budget soundbars in this price range are typically, just 2 full range drivers (ie left and right) and occasionally they couple that with a subwoofer. So even though the grill looks like there is a lot of speakers, there typically aren't many in there and they do not have a surround sound amplifier built-in. However, so of them have a simulated surround function, which in my opinion doesn't work well at all. However, I am sure there are people out there that like them. So unless you are buying a high end sound bar, you are only getting a 2 channel or 2.1 channel setup in the shape of something that fits under your television. There may be a way to get a dsp engine that would create a simulated surround, but I think most people would be happy with just the 2 channel soundbar.

Comment

Some (most?) receivers these days will attempt to recreate some surround effects using just front speakers. It's what I plan to do when I build a soundbar for my bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
              Some (most?) receivers these days will attempt to recreate some surround effects using just front speakers. It's what I plan to do when I build a soundbar for my bedroom.
              That is a great point! If you wanted to use a surround sound receiver to power it instead of an amp board, there are a lot of advantages to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post

If you are using a HT receiver I think you could achieve this by simply adding an additional set of speakers to the center portion and setting the receiver's rear channels to phantom. My concern would be with how close the three channels would be physically and how that would affect the perceived channel separation.

I have been toying with the idea of making a passive version of the new outrageously expensive Creative Labs soundbar. My Marantz receiver has the Audyssey calibration system and I am curious how it would handle the delay on the rear channels with them located similar to the layout of the Creative soundbar.

The only other option would be to use a DSP and multiple amplifiers and then you would still need a processor to provide the separate channels which would get expensive quick. Fortunately it appears that there are a lot of DSP options that are slowly coming available to DIY.
                Lo and behold. The groundbreaking Creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier is a nexus of technology and design that will upgrade your home entertainment experience.

Comment

Funny that you say that. I have been designing one of those ever since I saw come out. I just haven't finished the design yet. Where it could either be a 7.1 or 5.1.2 depending on your receiver. It actually is something the DIY world could really use

Comment

Originally posted by Altoid View Post
                    Funny that you say that. I have been designing one of those ever since I saw come out. I just haven't finished the design yet. Where it could either be a 7.1 or 5.1.2 depending on your receiver. It actually is something the DIY world could really use
                    I cant wait to see what you come up with. What drivers are you looking at using?

I have only been toying around with the idea by mostly cannibalizing existing designs using the B3N driver but it definitely seems doable. Unfortunately is was in a pretty severe car accident in February that has limited me from doing anything physical for another 2-3 months but once I get to where I can start making sawdust again I may actually pursue the idea.

I completely agree that it is something the DIY could/would really use.

Comment

Great work done buddy.

Comment

Altoid, that's an amazing build. Many kudos!

I've also been toying with the idea of a sound bar as well; I have a bunch of the ND65-8 and ND16FA tweeters. I have a (possibly newbie) question about the xovers: What are your thoughts on just adding a high pass filter on the tweeter? I figured, the ND65 has a drop after 10k and figured I'd take advantage of that by omitting a filter on that end.

Comment

Working...
                        X