Stentorians Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stentorians Build

This is a build i have put off for some time now. A few years actually. I bought all the parts and even had a member on here cut all the mdf for me. IIRC it was joeybutts, so thanks again! Everything went together fine so far. I have both cabinets built and have them sanded to 120g. I actually created another thread asking for finishing tips in the other forum. I only have 4 clamps, which is nowhere near enough for these bohemians. So, i glued and clamped panel by panel and predrilled and screwed them down using 1 5/8" exterior trim screws. I use them for everything. Once i predrilled the hole, i dropped a dab of glue in and around the hole, screwed the screw down and took my finger to press the sawdust and glue into the hole. Made a good filler for sure. I followed that with actual filler if it was still needed. Does anyone who have built the stentorians have a picture of the back? Im looking for crossover ideas since its visible in the recess in the back. Im also unsure of the vent holes for each chamber. Do i literally just drill a hole? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Small update: I applied an undiluted wood glue over the whole exterior. Its my first time doing it but it appears to have created a "shell" from which to paint over. Ill try to sand the glue to about 400 grit before painting. I havent decided yet but i will more than likely buy some paint and primer all in one and do 2-3 coats sanding between Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The glue will gum up sandpaper pretty badly. It's not a bad thing to do but I limit it to cut edges where moisture sealing and durability is more important.

Comment

Looking great! As far as sanding the key will be to keep the heat down, if you use a power sander turn the speed WAY down. If you sand by hand use light pressure and take long slow strokes. Work the grits to get the job done in a few strokes as possible.

Comment

I was just thinking about this!!! Thanks for posting and glad to see it is going together well. I always wished I bought the parts to build a pair of these.

Can't wait to see the finished product!!
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Great tips ken! Ill be sure to use them tomorrow as i hope to get the sanding portion done, and start on the crossover. And thanks again to you joey, i for sure couldnt do this without you. I just happen to have had surgery a few months ago and am still off work for another week and a half and have some free time to knock this out. Goal is to finish them before i go back to work. Only question now is how to keep a 7mo old and a 22mo old from poking them. NS6's arent easy to come by anymore... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It's a lot easier to make two speaker grills than it is to replace 12 speakers.

Comment

ameuba10, do you plan on doing more builds? If so and there's a Harbor Freight store nearby, that's a good place to pick up cheap wood clamps. Last time I was in one they had the cheap ones, 24"?, for <$6 and the shorter ones less than that. Keep in mind though, these are the cheap ones.

Keep us updated, especially the finishing particulars. I like it when someone takes the time to document everything, especially the finishing, that way I can learn more on how to do it ... cause I really suk at it.
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Harbor freight is actually where i got the clamps that i used on this build. I dont have the extra cash at the moment but i do plan on building a larger set of clamps for times like this Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Update: i have the cabs sanded to 220. I don't recommend using undiluted glue, or at least in the manner i did, because it making sanding difficult. I was able to get away with one coat but using my ROS and just hand sanding was able to heat and melt the glue in a could areas. It wasnt horrible and i was able to fix them, but i can see using two thinner coats could make this process smoother Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

First coat of black rolled on last night. The majority of it looks great but some areas will need to be sanded smoother and repainted Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yesterday I was able to sand a few high spots down and put another coat of paint on. I used a roller that had a medium nap to it and really like the texture it left. Its similar to a tolex wrap and Im pretty stoked how it turned out. Attached is a pic to show you some of the texture Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Very nice texture!
                          What paint did you use?

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Kind of looks like a truck bed liner. This has encouraged me to want to finish my set of Stentorians. I had built them about a year ago now, but they are not finished. I decided that the Stentorian build was going to be my first go at veneering, I just havent built up the courage to buy the stuff and go ahead with it yet.
                            Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Thanks! I love both the sheen and texture. Its exactly what i was wanting. As for paint, it is sherwin williams showcase paint and primer in satin. Small update: started on the grills today. Just need to wrap them. I used the kit pe sells and its amazing. Very sturdy and even i can put it together Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X