New small boombox - 'Spica'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New small boombox - 'Spica'

I built a small boombox out of some spare parts and lumber I had on hand. I was really pleased with how it turned out so I'm posting it here. The sound is provided by a pair of Visaton FRS 5X 2" full-range drivers, powered by a small PAM8610 amplifier and a Sure electronics bluetooth card.

The overall size is about 13.5" x 3.5" x 6" made from 1/2" MDF with 1/4" poplar baffles. Each enclosure is about 1.3L with a 3/4" PVC port about 2.13" inches long, which tunes it to about 100Hz. Not a lot of 'boom' here, but they are spare parts and 2" drivers. I considered building a small accompanying sub using one of those Tang Band 3" subwoofers or maybe a contour filter on the mains but that will have to be a project for another day.

I'm calling this one the 'Spica', no real reason other than it sounds cool and astronomical, and the full build log can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/gUauc

I love the blue and wood together makes me think of old Jbl equipment,

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
      I love the blue and wood together makes me think of old Jbl equipment,
      ^This

Great contrast. I have used several of the smaller 5v amplifiers with 3" speakers with good luck. And Sure makes that $10 BT board that works with 5v and up. A gem of a 2.1 board with zero noise. It really is cool to make your own boom box and use it daily.
      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Thanks! I used the Sure board you're talking about, I wish PE would sell it because ordering direct from Sure can take a while.

I actually used it in a version of your 'Riese' boombox I built for my brother-in-law's Echo.

Comment

Originally posted by jdhill View Post
          Thanks! I used the Sure board you're talking about, I wish PE would sell it because ordering direct from Sure can take a while.

I actually used it in a version of your 'Riese' boombox I built for my brother-in-law's Echo.
          That looks great! What amp did you use?
          "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
          The Roxster
          Swopes 5.0
          Acoustic Panels
          Living Room Make Over

Comment

Both boxes have basically the same amp but from two different sources, it's the mini PAM8610 2x10w with the built-in volume pot. I've found that it's a great tiny amp almost any boombox. I've used that and the PE 2.1 buyout amp quite a bit for my portable projects.

Comment

Originally posted by jdhill View Post
              Both boxes have basically the same amp but from two different sources, it's the mini PAM8610 2x10w with the built-in volume pot. I've found that it's a great tiny amp almost any boombox. I've used that and the PE 2.1 buyout amp quite a bit for my portable projects.
              Did you have any hum using that amp with a power supply?

Comment

Yes. I found that when the BT card is paired with my phone the hum is significantly less, for whatever reason. I also use 2-prong ac adapters as I've heard that can lessen noise due to ground loops.

I've also heard putting a capacitor in parallel with the +/- dc terminals can help but in practice I've not seen any improvement.

Comment

Working...
                X