Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New small boombox - 'Spica'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New small boombox - 'Spica'

    I built a small boombox out of some spare parts and lumber I had on hand. I was really pleased with how it turned out so I'm posting it here. The sound is provided by a pair of Visaton FRS 5X 2" full-range drivers, powered by a small PAM8610 amplifier and a Sure electronics bluetooth card.

    The overall size is about 13.5" x 3.5" x 6" made from 1/2" MDF with 1/4" poplar baffles. Each enclosure is about 1.3L with a 3/4" PVC port about 2.13" inches long, which tunes it to about 100Hz. Not a lot of 'boom' here, but they are spare parts and 2" drivers. I considered building a small accompanying sub using one of those Tang Band 3" subwoofers or maybe a contour filter on the mains but that will have to be a project for another day.

    I'm calling this one the 'Spica', no real reason other than it sounds cool and astronomical, and the full build log can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/gUauc

  • #2
    I love the blue and wood together makes me think of old Jbl equipment,

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
      I love the blue and wood together makes me think of old Jbl equipment,
      ^This

      Great contrast. I have used several of the smaller 5v amplifiers with 3" speakers with good luck. And Sure makes that $10 BT board that works with 5v and up. A gem of a 2.1 board with zero noise. It really is cool to make your own boom box and use it daily.
      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

      The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks! I used the Sure board you're talking about, I wish PE would sell it because ordering direct from Sure can take a while.

        I actually used it in a version of your 'Riese' boombox I built for my brother-in-law's Echo.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jdhill View Post
          Thanks! I used the Sure board you're talking about, I wish PE would sell it because ordering direct from Sure can take a while.

          I actually used it in a version of your 'Riese' boombox I built for my brother-in-law's Echo.
          That looks great! What amp did you use?
          "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

          The Madeleine
          The Roxster
          Swopes 5.0
          Acoustic Panels
          Living Room Make Over

          Comment


          • #6
            Both boxes have basically the same amp but from two different sources, it's the mini PAM8610 2x10w with the built-in volume pot. I've found that it's a great tiny amp almost any boombox. I've used that and the PE 2.1 buyout amp quite a bit for my portable projects.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jdhill View Post
              Both boxes have basically the same amp but from two different sources, it's the mini PAM8610 2x10w with the built-in volume pot. I've found that it's a great tiny amp almost any boombox. I've used that and the PE 2.1 buyout amp quite a bit for my portable projects.
              Did you have any hum using that amp with a power supply?

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes. I found that when the BT card is paired with my phone the hum is significantly less, for whatever reason. I also use 2-prong ac adapters as I've heard that can lessen noise due to ground loops.

                I've also heard putting a capacitor in parallel with the +/- dc terminals can help but in practice I've not seen any improvement.

                Comment

                Working...
                X