Classix II in Walnut and Maple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classix II in Walnut and Maple

Had these finished for a while but had trouble posting. I can see why Paul says these are one of the funnest speakers he's built. They ROCK!!!

Carbon13

Nice work!
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

They look great! Cool desk BTW....

I am enjoying the heck out of mine...

Comment

Really nice job, look very professional indeed - make mine look pretty amateur!

A suggestion if I may: I use mine with the Dayton 1" rubber speaker feet, they sound a little clearer in the bass. I had them on stands but they (the stands) weren't stable enough.

The Classix II are excellent speakers, especially for the money. I've had mine in my workshop for about a year and love them. The sound is very smooth, but the detail is there too. I run them with a Dayton DTA-120 amp and my iPod and cassette deck - which don't sound good through my 'reference' speakers but sound fine through the Classix.

Am also going to do the Classix 2.5 when I have the excuse to build them.

Big thank you to Paul Carmody!

Geoff

Comment

You do nice work.
          Solid walnut and maple?

Nice receiver.

Comment

Horrendous.

Pm’ed my address for disposal.
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
              Really nice job, look very professional indeed - make mine look pretty amateur!

A suggestion if I may: I use mine with the Dayton 1" rubber speaker feet, they sound a little clearer in the bass. I had them on stands but they (the stands) weren't stable enough.

The Classix II are excellent speakers, especially for the money. I've had mine in my workshop for about a year and love them. The sound is very smooth, but the detail is there too. I run them with a Dayton DTA-120 amp and my iPod and cassette deck - which don't sound good through my 'reference' speakers but sound fine through the Classix.

Am also going to do the Classix 2.5 when I have the excuse to build them.

Big thank you to Paul Carmody!

Geoff

Yep, I was thinking of doing some stands but haven't settled on design/location yet.
              Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
                You do nice work.
                Solid walnut and maple?

Nice receiver.

Walnut veneer but the baffles are solid maple. I used the same technique as my previous build, mdf enclosure, veneer sides and attach solid baffle with hanger bolts.

I picked up that Marantz 2230 with an old thorens td160 turntable I rebuilt. I just added a Marantz 140 amp as well. I'm going to set that up as a fully vintage setup at some point. I find the Classix II really shine with the Marantz. It's like they were meant to go with 70s gear!
                Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                  Horrendous.

Pm’ed my address for disposal.

LOL!! Thanks but I think I'll suffer through ;)
                  Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by careyink View Post
                    They look great! Cool desk BTW....

I am enjoying the heck out of mine...

Wish i could take credit for the desk but got it made by some mennonite craftsman.
                    Carbon13

Comment

Fantastic finish!
                      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                      Wogg Music

Comment

What a beautiful finish! I hope they give you years of enjoyment.
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Thanks Paul! Another terrific design! These are a really fun set of speakers and as I said above, just magic with the old marantz receiver. Rock'in old school with the Classix!! ;)
                          Carbon13

Comment

The Classix's are sharp, excellent work, and I really like that desk!

Thoren and Marantz, where are you finding these vintage scores?
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                              The Classix's are sharp, excellent work, and I really like that desk!

Thoren and Marantz, where are you finding these vintage scores?
                              Kijiji. But you have to check regularly and move fast when there's a good deal.
                              Carbon13

Comment

Working...
                              X