New old project: Refinishing MTM Towers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old project: Refinishing MTM Towers

A while back I scored some HiVi T28 tweeters as a door prize at the AZ get together (few years ago now that I think about it) and anyways, they ended up in some MTM towers with silverflute 5.25" woofers. Mark65 did all the measuring and crossover design for me and they turned out great... sounding anyways. I was never happy with the finish on them though, and the tweeters don't seem to be available to the DIY crowd so I never really posted much about them. Fast forward to now, I decided it was time for a refinish, my failed attempt at piano black was haunting me. I opted to try some wood, redwood as a matter of fact. It's the most interesting looking stuff I could find for dirt cheap, I scored a 12" 2x4 for $12, and got to work dissecting it into a pile of small strips. After I figured out how I wanted them laid out I got to work gluing them on. And I know someone is going to ask, I used plain old titebond, over the old paint and poly. I did hit it with some 60 grit on the sander first, I couldn't get the paint off easily, so I figure as long as it has enough tooth to it, it should be fine, if not all I'm out is my time and $12 worth of wood, no biggie.
    My modest builds:
    Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

So far so good. Redwood looks really good with a few coats of poly. I hit the rest with duratex because I have 1/2 a gallon of it that needs to get used.
    My modest builds:
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

All done!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bolland83; 10-30-2017, 06:19 PM.
      My modest builds:
      Armadillo Center Channel
      Au-Rock-O Sub
      Tarkus
      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Ill be doing it soon!

Comment

Very nice remodel! I've always thought of Redwood as being soft for cabinet work. Your application is very attractive and unlikely to suffer from damage. Seems you might have another classic finish on your hands.
          If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
          ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Those look great. Really bold choice, but turned out very nice and the contrast with the black really makes the wood pop. Like the outriggers too, nice touch!
            Paul

The "SB's" build page
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

They really look terrific. You definitely have a good eye for design.

Comment

It's nice when a $12 investment turns out well. They are like a new speaker now.
                See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Thanks guys!
                  My modest builds:
                  Armadillo Center Channel
                  Au-Rock-O Sub
                  Tarkus
                  Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Working...