Overnight Sensation TMM, MTM and some C-Notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Sensation TMM, MTM and some C-Notes

Not too long ago I asked some questions about doing silly things with the OS center channel. The fine members of this forum politely recommended that I build the TMM's. Thank you gentlemen, have done so and I am very happy with the results!

I only have a few pictures of the process but I will share what I have. The box was painted with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze and then misted to give it the look of early verdigris. The baffles are stained with Minwax Espresso and then several coats of shellac. The significant other was pleased as am I. I may still redo the baffles in some solid maple.

The boxes are 1/2" MDF and the baffles are 3/4" birch ply. I used some 1/2" ply scraps for the strips to anchor the T-nuts for the baffle. Paint was a back yard affair. Lucky it had rained the night before and the Oklahoma dust wasn't much of a problem.

Also included are pictures of my first kit build (C-Notes) and an OS MTM that I'm using as a center. I have grand plans to build a new stand to replace the crappy one I'm using now and incorporate an OS center built in. The MTM will get anther coat or two of laquer and a better polish soon. I'm debating building another MTM for the rear or building a new pair of TMs.

Cheers and thanks for all the good advice and entertaining reading for the last several months,

Zilla
    It was nice having a sticker with the position of the components.
    Last edited by Waltzilla; 11-03-2017, 12:57 AM. Reason: added some build notes

Comment

Comment

Comment

Beautiful! Is that a milled port of some kind?
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Nice work! Congratulations! I hope they bring you years of enjoyment.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
              Beautiful! Is that a milled port of some kind?
              It's the plastic port that shipped with the kit. In the same line of paint as "oil rubbed bronze" is "old copper". I thought it might match pretty well with the cones on the B4N's.

Comment

Another detail. I could only find stainless hardware locally in the length and size I wanted. To tone down the shiny, I hit all the bolts with a propane torch for a few seconds. Time it right and they get a blueish brown color.

zilla

Comment

Gorgeous! I'm incredibly happy with mine and am a little jealous of your finish! It's amazing the sound you get out of those little drivers, isn't it?

Comment

beautiful work!

enjoy them in good health

Comment

Originally posted by Waltzilla View Post
                      Another detail. I could only find stainless hardware locally in the length and size I wanted. To tone down the shiny, I hit all the bolts with a propane torch for a few seconds. Time it right and they get a blueish brown color.

zilla
                      Brilliant idea!

I've always just hit them with a paint pen, but if you rub the screw enough times (usually not a problem) the paint wears off. It's a super easy repair, but your idea sounds permanent. I'm going to try it.
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

The color is just a layer of oxidation. You can polish or scratch through it. Probably still more durable than a sharpie. Google a steel tempering color chart and it will show the specific color for a given temperature. If you had an oven that went high enough and an accurate thermometer you could make very consistent sets of cornflower blue hardware.

Comment

Working...
                        X