Newbie builds a boom box or three with Daton Audio RS75-4 drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie builds a boom box or three with Daton Audio RS75-4 drivers

I started out winging it, thought I'd just put a speaker in a box and call it good. (Actually I wanted to build two, as presents for my nephews.) But then I came here and started asking questions--unfortunately, not before I bought the speaker drivers. I say unfortunately, not because the drivers were bad, but because nobody here would have recommended them or have a lot (or any) experience with them. But people were helpful, made some suggestions, including a contour filter, which I incorporated, and overall, the boom boxes turned out pretty good. Not great, which is what a newbie gets for not asking all of the questions first, eh?

I got some nicely figures walnut and maple and resawed the maple down to .25 inches and then laminated it with .25" mdf, for the interior. I cut one of the sides a little thin, and by the time I'd cleaned up most of the marks from the band saw blade, it was under .25, so to stick with the plan, I laminated some thin padauk onto them, between the maple and mdf. That one had issues due to the shenanigans, I guess. Wasn't perfectly square. Looks good nonetheless, just don't go looking for issues, or you're likely to find some! The other one came out dang near perfect, so I'll have to make the nephews flip a coin and let dumb luck rule who gets what.

The first design is pretty basic, 4 x 4 x 4 with a 3.27" port. The original post on it, with the contour filter recommended by ceiol (who's new here, too, but certainly understands the business of speaker design well better than I do, so I took his advice and I'm glad I did), is here http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...timer-s-design.

Part way through the build I started to feel bad that my daughter wasn't getting one, too. I had the extra drivers, but didn't want to build the same thing as I did for her cousins, so I came up with a new design. Did I mention I'm using bass box pro? I let it make suggestions, then I tinker with it. Design 2 utilizes a cylinder rather than a box. I'd also started listening to the two I'd completed, and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the sound, though they have improved as they've broken in some, but I went ahead and added two Tang Band 13-1761S tweeters. Just split the signal pre-contour filter and ran the signal to the tweeters through the parts-express 5 khz high pass filter. And it worked, design 2 does sound better to my ears. Got lucky, I guess!

It was a tremendous amount of work--like 40+ hours over the last month. I'm burned out, but I want to get a start on something for me come the first of the year!
    Right to left, curly maple, figured walnut, and plain maple for the back/service panels. The contour filter. Trying to figure out how the electronics were going to fit.

I don't have any good pictures of the final product at hand for design 1, but here's a short video of it playing. Yes, I know you can't tell much about the sound from a cell phone video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQVIEOZbbPc

Comment

Design 2. Here's the video I made for that one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UJETmED_ZM Thanks everybody, and merry Christmas/happy holidays!

Comment

With regards to design 2, I wanted the front and back to be robin's egg blue, but I managed to carve the text backwards, and I didn't have time to prep a new board to get it right!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

For the eggy shaped one, did you have access to a CNC of some kind? I’m guessing yes due to the engraving bit. No matter what, great design, nearly perfect execution, and if you have a few more pics that would be great!

I dig the hardwood design the most. Sucker for padauk, even in an accenting manner.
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
              For the eggy shaped one, did you have access to a CNC of some kind? I’m guessing yes due to the engraving bit. No matter what, great design, nearly perfect execution, and if you have a few more pics that would be great!

I dig the hardwood design the most. Sucker for padauk, even in an accenting manner.
              Yup, I have a 2x4 cnc in my basement, built from a kit. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
                Nice work!
                Thank you, sir, appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
                X