Overnight sensations + voxel build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight sensations + voxel build

​I wanted to build a 2.1 setup for my son for Christmas and went with the overnight sensations and a voxel sub. I paired them with the Lepai amp that Paul C. mentions in his voxel build thread (anyone know where the crossover dial should be set on that amp btw?). This my second build and this combo fit the bill as far as budget and difficulty went for me. I had some hiccups along the way but got them done in time and my son is pretty stoked on them! He's still breaking them in as I didn't quite get that part done but they already sound great. I'll be re-doing the clear coat in the summer since I tried to ventilate the garage too much, allowing the clear to get a bit cold and I ended up with some runs. Thanks again to Paul Carmody for the great and beginner-friendly design. Sorry for the poor pics, I always seemed to be in a hurry.

They came out pretty nice. I especially like the bevels on the sides, nice touch. I always seem to have some issue with paints/finishes... I feel your pain, but they look fantastic.
    How old is your son? Does he appreciate how good they sound compared to other bluetooth music players? You may be cultivating a future audiophile!

Excellent work!
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
      How old is your son? Does he appreciate how good they sound compared to other bluetooth music players? You may be cultivating a future audiophile!

Excellent work!
      TomZ
      He's a freshman in highschool this year. His musical preferences really seem to be taking shape lately so the timing was pretty good I guess. Ya, he's just had a couple crummy bluetooth speakers in the past that didn't end up getting used much so he's excited to have something that digs a little bit not to mention the clarity and additional sounds he's hearing. Thanks for the compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by hittheskids View Post

He's a freshman in highschool this year. His musical preferences really seem to be taking shape lately so the timing was pretty good I guess. Ya, he's just had a couple crummy bluetooth speakers in the past that didn't end up getting used much so he's excited to have something that digs a little bit not to mention the clarity and additional sounds he's hearing. Thanks for the compliments.
        Once the Voxel breaks in it should hit the low 30's. You don't get too many systems that can do that before $000s.

The Lepai 168 will only muster ~16 W rms into the 4 ohm Voxel,half it's rated power, and half again (~8 W rms) into the 8 ohm OSs (the marketing ratings ridiculous).

Come back here when he leaves for college, We'll set him up with a cost effective digital amp that can really drive that system (but dad may get repair requests ).

Ditto Tom's post, nice touch with the bevels and the finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

The Lepai 168 will only muster ~16 W rms into the 4 ohm Voxel,half it's rated power, and half again (~8 W rms) into the 8 ohm OSs (the marketing ratings ridiculous).

Come back here when he leaves for college, We'll set him up with a cost effective digital amp that can really drive that system (but dad may get repair requests ).

Ditto Tom's post, nice touch with the bevels and the finish.
          I could tell after a bit with that amp that it wouldn't push those real hard, that's probably ok for now and the price was definitely right. He'll just be excited down the road when he gets something a better to drive them. Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

The orange looks great on those! I've heard about issues with the subs xo on that amp, how's yours? This 2.1 amp found on the big auction site has my interest, I think it would probably work well with a setup like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
              The orange looks great on those! I've heard about issues with the subs xo on that amp, how's yours? This 2.1 amp found on the big auction site has my interest, I think it would probably work well with a setup like yours.
              That plate amp works well. the only problem is the sub volume is separate from the main volume.

Comment

beautiful build -- and a lucky son!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                  Thanks. I don't know anything about the crossover setting for this amp and was curious about it myself. I did notice we barely had to turn up the sub volume to get what we needed out of it, regardless of the source.

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
                    beautiful build -- and a lucky son!

Thanks! It was good project for me and my son is already putting a lot of time in with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X