• Show
Clear All

• Wine Boom Box using Dayton PC83-4 and some Blue Veneer Quarks

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue quarks and wine box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	1358530

The Wine Boom Box has an internal volume of about 4.2 liters. The tough part is actually sealing the box to make it air-tight, also adding some thickness and mass to the lid which is very thin, and bracing it for increased rigidity.

The two drivers are the Dayton PC83-4 with a simple contour filter consisting of a 0.75 mH ferrite core inductor and a 3.9 Ohm resistor. That evens out the response curve. Ports are 1" x 3.25" for a tuning of about 90 Hz.

Amplifier is a 2 x 15W bluetooth board that was on close out at M-C-M before they closed shop.

Box was sanded and edges rounded and then coated with Danish Oil.

Sounds pretty good and it was a quick and fun build.

And I also finished making another set of Quarks -- this time with a blue dyed veneer and a gloss black baffle.

What are you opinions on the pc83? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
      What are you opinions on the pc83? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's pretty good -- great for the price.

The PS95 sounds better, but it's double the price

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
        Good stuff. You've been busy with think those boomboxes huh? Just curious, how does the pc83 bass compare to the quarks fountek bass? I'm guessing comprable. I loved the quarks. So simple, but pleasing. I just wish they had more low end. I would like to pair that tweeter configuration with an nd91. That would be something.

To my ears the PC83-4 in my wine box gives a bit more satisfying bass than the Fountek FE83 in the Quarks.

If you like the added bass of the ND91, then check out the Heliums (ported) or TomZ’s Bantams (passive radiators). The Heliums use the ND16 tweeters and the Bantams use the AMTs. you could certainly design a good crossover to pair the ND20 with the ND91

Comment

Looks great.

So you want to pair the ND91-4 with the ND20FA-6?

Sounds like a good match for your 0.05 cubic ft enclosures.

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post

To my ears the PC83-4 in my wine box gives a bit more satisfying bass than the Fountek FE83 in the Quarks.

If you like the added bass of the ND91, then check out the Heliums (ported) or TomZ’s Bantams (passive radiators). The Heliums use the ND16 tweeters and the Bantams use the AMTs. you could certainly design a good crossover to pair the ND20 with the ND91
            I like your Bluetooth project, and the pc83-4 seems to be a nice budget driver. Your contour filter, is it parallel or series? Any reason why you choose the 4ohm? I might try this in a larger box with some tweets.

Comment

the 0.75mH inductor and the 4 ohm resistor are in parallel to each other and in line with the + lead to the speaker

I chose the PC83-4 over the PC83-8 in order to get a little more power out of the chip amp

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
                the 0.75mH inductor and the 4 ohm resistor are in parallel to each other and in line with the + lead to the speaker

I chose the PC83-4 over the PC83-8 in order to get a little more power out of the chip amp
                Thanks for the conformation. I like the price and the FS on these speakers, and I saw those inductors on buyout. I ordered a pair, not sure if it will be bluetooth or separates. Either way I'm gonna see what they can do in a larger box. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X