Crossover inductor layout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover inductor layout

I'm getting ready to build a pair of Speedsters and I could use a little sanity check on the crossover layout, specifically the inductors. My plan is to use the pre-drilled 3.5"x5" crossover boards from PE since space inside the cabinet is at a premium. I cut a scrap of cardboard to size and began laying out components. Any issue with how I have them? If so, how can I fix? Thanks in advance. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice job orienting those inductors. That will work. If it's not too late, consider sliding the left one up a bit... like this...
    Attached Files
    ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
    Sapphos
    Cables (Post #54)
    Other speakers (Post #21)
    Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
    Boundary Augmentation
    Dispersion/Interference

Comment

You COULD rotate the left one 30*-45* ccw and the bottom one cw 45*-60*, but . . . there's no problem the way you've got them now.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Once I have the crossover boards, I'll lay it out and play around with it a little more. I'm excited to get these built. Hoping to get in the basement this weekend and start gluing the cabinets together. The DIY Sound Group flat packs make life so easy. I've got a couple nice pieces of bamboo I'm still deciding if I want to use for the baffles, or save them for a different project. My son has taken an interest in listening to music so he and I may do a set of C-NOTEs for his bedroom and I'll save the bamboo for those. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

C-Notes are nice, but IMO the Classix II are probably a bit more fun to listen to. YMMV
          (OOPs !) - I just realized that the Classix are $85 EACH! Thought is was for the pair. My bad.
          Last edited by Chris Roemer; 01-04-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I picked up the boards yesterday. Playing around today and came up with this layout Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

FWIW, this forum sector is for finished project photos, and links to write-ups. The TechTalk forum should be where queries are asked.
              Just an FYI,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Absolutely nothing wrong w/THAT, but . . . you COULD lay the big one down, and stand the tiny one up, aimed at the big one. Coils always SEEM more secure to me lying down, so (if I can) I prefer to stand the little guys up instead.

OR, you could lay down the bottom left one, 'cause it's probably the least stable (due to its height-to-width "aspect ratio"). Then I'd aim the little one toward the bottom left. (The BIG coil just wants to roll, while the med. size one wants to tip over. Imagine the forces acting on the mass if a non-destructive "accident" happened, like dropping the completed speaker onto a carpeted floor - from 3-4 feet. Even if there was no driver damage, would your XO survive?)

Comment

The orthogonal alignments of your coils are perfect. Clearly you've been paying attention. Nice job. But Chris R. does make a few good points about structural strength and stability. I typically use BOTH zip ties AND hot glue for all my coils to avoid the issues Chris is talking about. It looks like you've got a good grasp and you know what you're doing. Cheers.
                  ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                  Sapphos
                  Cables (Post #54)
                  Other speakers (Post #21)
                  Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                  Boundary Augmentation
                  Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Working...
                  X