My Continuum build and an apples to apples comparison. LONG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Continuum build and an apples to apples comparison. LONG

I wanted to take a minute to review my Continuum build and then compare it to a speaker that is what I feel the best known comparison the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 (http://www.stirlingbroadcast.net/ls35a_v2.html). I like this comparison since Jeff voiced the Continuum like the original LS3/5a. Doug - Stirling Broadcast is similar to the Continuum in that it is a clone variant as well. The Stirling Broadcast was also voiced like the original LS3/5a.

The design goals were also similar. Make a more modern LS3/5a with current drivers. Both are capable of higher SPL than the original and neither are 15ohm like the first LS3/5a.

Now some direct comparison. First Doug Stirling did secure BBC blessing to produce and call this speaker an LS3/5a. It is very very similar but, as I mentioned already, is able to play louder and does exhibit a bit more low end extension. It does have the characteristic mid-bass hump as the original.

Jeff, the way I understand had a very similar design goal. Of course he did not make this an exact duplicate as Doug with the V2 but something close with that familiar sound. Jeff also used the more modern Harbeth p3esr http://www.harbeth.co.uk/hifi-speakers/p3esr.phpClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5264 2.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	1361115
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 01-19-2018, 07:01 AM. Reason: Fixed errors and clarified points

Hey come back and finish this.

Comment

Ok thanks Philthien,

The sound: Let me use shorten the names to make my life easier. I will refer to the Doug Stirling LS3/5a V2 as V2 and the Continuum as CON. Furthermore CON refers to MY SPECIFIC BUILD onlyOk with that out of the way how do these two examples compare?

V2:
      CON V2: The bass on any LS3/5a is non-existent down past around 100hz. So the 160hz hump helps fill in the perception of bass while yielding a tad more output below 100hz.
      CON: V2 The midrange is smooth, full and plump (yes goofy words that happen to fit the sound). The hump around 1200hz seems to round out the package.
      CON Jeff nailed the midrange with the CON. I remember reading that he chose the Aurum Cantus unit specifically for this sound quality. This is perhaps the most important feature of the CON

V2 Treble and upper extension on the V2 is perhaps slightly better than the original. Doug used Seas and Scanspeak drivers and it is perhaps these units with the fabric tweeter dome that lends to this quality. The original LS3/5a, to my ears, was a little rough on top where the V2 excels.
      CON https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS3/5A

Comment

After some more listing, the continuums do throw of a nice image and disappear very well. I find they have slightly less weight in piano than the V2 above. They have a slightly different tonal quality but they sound great.

Comment

Interesting write-up. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I know it's not part of the original setup, but if you added a sub, I bet it would make the difference between the V2 and CON even more difficult to determine. I love my continuums. The dip between the 160hz hump and where it flattens out at 400hz really balances out boundary reinforcement of typical monitor placement on stands relatively close to the front wall.

Comment

Originally posted by bjaurelio View Post
            Interesting write-up. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I know it's not part of the original setup, but if you added a sub, I bet it would make the difference between the V2 and CON even more difficult to determine. I love my continuums. The dip between the 160hz hump and where it flattens out at 400hz really balances out boundary reinforcement of typical monitor placement on stands relatively close to the front wall.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X