TB/SB, an active compact(ish) 3-way using the Tang Band W6-1139SIF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrickyMike View Post
    Yeah, the port is a bit of an experiment, to be honest. I kind of just wanted to see what I could get away with. Jury's still out on that as I'm waiting on a Dayton DATS I ordered, but I can at least talk about port noise in the meantime.

I did get a little bit of chuffing before I rounded over the exit, but only with one reference track at full power (Yonce/Partition by Beyonce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsVE8zwld28 ). The noise was slight.

After I rounded the edges (3/4") I wasn't able to reproduce the chuffing. Maybe fixed? I dunno.
    I'm unlikely to be listening to that type of track (the song has a distinct low frequency sweep... down to maybe 20-25Hz?) at full power.

I've had them in my office all week and haven't noticed any port noise at all.

Well, I'd say that was a success then noise wise. That driver can really move some air, can't it?
    What a beautiful speaker!
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks Tom. Yeah, that little driver can really blow your hair back.

Kind of crazy spending so much time building them given the possibility for port noise/tuning issues but I like that part of the process. And it's been a really cold winter here in Boston, so some extra time in the shop beats the hell out of sitting on the couch.

So far, though, I've been really pleased with them. Are they going to be +/-3dB from 37Hz-20KHz? Not likely, but that was never really the goal anyway.

Comment

Before your DATS arrival, you COULD (if you're so inclined) run sweeps out of WinISD (you can type the freq. in, OR have it follow the on-screen cursor) w/the W6 facing straight up w/a few grains of rice (dancing) on the cone. Your tuning freq. is where the rice bounces the least.

Comment

How are you powering these drivers and what crossover unit are you using?

Comment

Power is coming from a Rotel RMB-1066 and the crossover duties are handled by a MiniDSP 4x10HD

Comment

Thanks. Was wondering if you were using a traditional electronic crossover or DSP. How long did it take you to dial in a crossover with the MiniDSP? I really like you combination of drivers and the cabinet design. Well done.

Comment

Thanks. Still working on the crossovers to be honest. The MiniDSP interface is really straightforward, I just haven't had the time to devote. A big part of the problem is that I had the bright idea to move them into my office. Even getting in really early/staying late I've been too busy at work to devote any time to them. I've gotten to do a bunch of listening but only a little bit of testing.

I probably spent 5 hours or so tuning these two ways. Most of it spent listening:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-progress-pics

Comment

So, here's my first, somewhat hacky measurement of the woofer using the DATS that arrived last night.

Still trying to determine what I'm looking at to be honest.

I can see that the tuning frequency is 4.7Hz lower than predicted.

Also a 9 ohm difference between the two peaks. Is that the (expected) port resistance at work? Is it worth adding some more damping or am I just robbing from Peter to pay Paul as they say... Adding damping might even out the peaks, but will also drive the tuning frequency down further?

Last edited by TrickyMike; 02-03-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Here's the sweep of the midrange. Target was 124.66Hz

Comment

Working...
                    X