Definitive Technology CLR Clone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitive Technology CLR Clone

I never really got into Home Audio until I first heard Definitive Technology speakers. My friends father just built a home theater and had a few in his theater along with some Atlantic Technology surrounds and center. At the time, he could not afford Definitive Technology. Recently, I was able to purchase two Definitive Technology BP2000 towers along with a CLR3000. When looking that over, I thought this would be a cool DIY design. After all, not everyone has the space and or desire to dedicate to multiple subwoofers placed all around their room.

Before I go too far, I should explain the CLR concept and my design goals. The CLR series were MTM speakers with a built-in 8" powered subwoofer. The speaker actually acted like a full range speaker (if only had a full-range rca input not and LFE). Because of this, it was able to be used as a Center, left, right or you could run all three for a whole front sound stage. Being an MTM configuration, they could be placed in either a vertical or horizontal orientation. The speaker itself was rather large and heavy, but the advantage was you could have multiple subwoofers without having to take up the real-estate of stand alone subwoofers or to add to your stand alone subwoofers. Many people liked the design, the problem was cost. The CLR3000 was over $1,100 over 15 years ago. So my goal was to design something comparable in size, but be more affordable for those who might want multiple speakers.

So I decided to clone it the best way possible. I used some small 5" Dayton Reference Woofers due to their size and small box requirements. I kept them sealed, to give an f3 around 110hz. Which should be pretty perfect when crossed over with the subwoofer. The sub I used was the GRS 10sw-4 (feel free to use a better sub if you want). I used this due to cost and preferred box size. And I used the renown Peerless tweeter to give it that flat top end (extends beyond 20khz) that is expected in a speaker like this and it's ability to crossover lower than other tweeters. I also paired the GRS sub with a Dayton 100w plate amp, that allows you to run the speaker full-range if you do not have an LFE output on your receiver.

I just did a complete build video found here:

I'll have more pictures as well as the dimensions coming soon.
    All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

Crossover

Cut List
    Last edited by Altoid; Today, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Test fit

Flush mounted all the drivers

Clamped

Glued together

Flush mounted the sub

Crossover is mounted behind the amplifier for easy access

With the Dayton Amp, it is easy to run this as a full range speaker
      Last edited by Altoid; Today, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Altoid View Post
        saved
        Okay

Comment

Originally posted by Altoid View Post
          saved 2
          Okay

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post

Okay
            I'm adding more pictures later tonight

Comment

Complete. I really like it. here is the overview video where I talk about the objective and design aspect of the speaker.

Picture of it complete

Comment

Working...
              X