Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Bluetooth drive in theater speaker attempt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth drive in theater speaker attempt

Had an idea to make a portable Bluetooth speaker out of a vintage drive in speaker. It might have been a bad idea because I'm finding it hard to fit speakers and passive radiators inside the grill openings. This is what I got so far. I'm already rethinking the drivers but not real sure of what would be better?

That is a very creative and original idea! Good luck with that cramped space.
    Andy.

Comment

pretty cool

which speakers are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
        pretty cool

which speakers are you running?
        ​The speakers in playing with are the Peerless-by-tymphany-830983-2''. They are really to big and will go in a different project, I have on order a few different small passive radiators but they wont get to me for a few weeks. Anybody play with these little guys?https://www.parts-express.com/Contro...-ohm--264-1626

Comment

Does the amp board allow for external antenna? I'm concerned of how well it will perform inside a good 'ol thick metal housing. Have you tried it by chance closed up?

It may very well work though, I have no experience with it. My experience with Bluetooth so far has been low cost speakers and headphones that start to break up when I put myself between the phone and receiver.

Comment

This amp only has Bluetooth 2.1 but I does ok. In the Aluminum Speaker housing you would be able to roam about most campsites and have good signal. I can and will solder an extinction on the Bluetooth antenna for better range but for this I'm hoping for modern "clip type" or "soundlinkmini" type output so max range isn't a big concern.

Comment

Found out that I'm not crazy today! I have been playing with different drivers and what not and discovered that the one page of instructions for the amp was wrong. I thought it was odd for the + and - on the left side to be flipped but what do I know! So I ended up playing a 30hz tone and recorded the speaker travel with my phone. I watched it on slow-mo and saw them out of phase. So on my amp board both + outputs are on the inside or outside...

Comment

I posted this mostly for advice! These small Bluetooth speaker builds are very popular now and I was hopping for some help. As I wait for my ebay orders to trickle in I've started investigating my next build using these speakers and either two of the new dayton-audio-nd65-2.5''passive radiators
                or one of the new dayton-audio-nd140 -51/4'' passive-radiator
                ​In this vintage radio for my wife in the kitchen. I will post it later, just a sneak peek!

Comment

Working...
                X