Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Carerra Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carerra Build

Got the cabinets glued and joined... some gaps but not bad. Next step will be back filling cracks and filling pores with wood filler.

Comment

After the wood filler I’m thinking of using a dye rather stain. Most the plywood is birch and I’ve read people get better results with a dye stain. I’m thinking general finishes cinnamon. Also since I have a hvlp I am debating spraying a lacquer rather my usual rub on poly...

Comment

Originally posted by cacophonix
        Going good!
        I've a pair of these, and they are phenomenal speakers. I'd love to see Carmody add a bass bin to these, keeping the same width (side mounted woofers, maybe).

Ill be tempted to do that. Do you know the efficiency of the speakers I didnt see it listed.

Comment

If we knew the efficiency and it was reasonable we could match it with a sub using the bagby universal crossover

Comment

Just a heads up depending on the wood filler, the dye may darken on the filled areas more than the wood. Maybe do a test first.

Comment

They are not efficient. I would guess 83 - 84.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

should work fine with the css woofer module designed for the Continuum as they're about the same efficiency.

Comment

Ill have to measure when I finish. But 83-84 is what I expected, with that I would have to consider the Sb Acoustics 8's subs to keep the box size similar.

Comment

Cut out the driver holes.. and whoops must have shook the cabinets too much during the cutting because I got some peel from the plywood veneer. Fixed with glue then grain filled with timbermate. I used general finishes dye stain cinnamon color. It's a great stain with a slight learning curve compared to oil. However not all the stain took to the grain filler... to fix I had a brilliant idea of taking a flame torch to the corners to burn the grain filler on the edges black and as a plus add a cool starburst affect.. it looked cool but the flame loosened the veneer where I just glued and burnt up some wood filler and raised the grain... WHOOPS ... since today is Easter and woodcraft is closed.. and I wanted to make some progress, I glued the veneer that peeled up and made some black/gray filler out of a Ebony oil based stain and shellacked it on. Some edges and corners are no longer perfect... but screw it im ready to finish soon so I sanded all the filler and re-stained.. next sanding sealer!.

PS there were a few edits.. I do these updates with my iphone.
                    Last edited by xsilverjag; 04-02-2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Nice job
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Nice going!
                        I'll be building a MLTL version of the carrera shortly (hopefully). I was supposed to do this over the holidays, but life got in the way.

Cool, do you have the cabinet plans for it?

Comment

I wanted a floorstander as i was worried that my kid would topple the bookshelf. Paul K was gracious enough to design one for me. Let me check with him and see if he's ok with me sharing the design.
                          I would be curious to see them also.
                          craigk

Comment

Cool, thanks for posting and thanks Paul.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X