No announcement yet.

Carerra Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted a floorstander as i was worried that my kid would topple the bookshelf. Paul K was gracious enough to design one for me. Let me check with him and see if he's ok with me sharing the design.

Comment

Originally posted by cacophonix View Post
      I wanted a floorstander as i was worried that my kid would topple the bookshelf. Paul K was gracious enough to design one for me. Let me check with him and see if he's ok with me sharing the design.
      I would be curious to see them also.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Saved his email in jpeg format ... hopefully it gives you all the information.

Comment

Cool, thanks for posting and thanks Paul.

Comment

Comment

Finished the speakers yesterday. The cabinets turned out pretty well. I like the blow torch effect and will try it again. I really enjoyed working with the water based finishes, they layer on just as well as a lacquer. I was able to get 99.9% of a mirror finish with just spraying, im not going to polish these speakers further they are done!! so far from a finish perspective this is the best speakers I have done.

How do they sound?

They sound amazing for bookshelf speakers. I currently own Usher UA711 and Ascend Sierras and have previously owned Selah SSRS and Veritas. I prefer these speakers stand alone to all of them. As I write this I am listening to Min Soldat by Scott Hamilton the mids and highs are excellent and at normal listening levels the bass is outstanding, you almost forget these are bookshelf speakers. Of my builds I would only rate the Cantelinas higher.These speakers are going to replace the ascend sierras in my basement workshop for now..

As far as a MLTL vs Bass Cabinet build, I am leaning towards the bass cabinet for these in the near future. FIrst I need to measure the SPL in Rew and decide on a woofer.. but I have time I probably wont attempt till late this year. If anyone just happens to know the SPL of these, you would speed this process up!
              Last edited by xsilverjag; 04-08-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Great!
                They are definitely among the best speakers i've owned!

The bass bin is a great idea as well. Are you looking to do something like what Jeff Bagby had designed with CSS SDX10 for his continuums and kairos?

Comment

Great!
                  They are definitely among the best speakers i've owned!

The bass bin is a great idea as well. Are you looking to do something like what Jeff Bagby had designed with CSS SDX10 for his continuums and kairos?

I was thinking something similar and using the SB23MFCL45-8, a 1.2 cu ft enclosure or larger would be easy to align with the Carerra box and only have a slightly overlap for the bass box.

Comment

You did great! Thank you for sharing. What kind of veneer is it? It looks like mahogany on my phone, but I can't tell.
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Paul, its birch plywood, I just used the original surface. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by xsilverjag View Post
                        Finished the speakers yesterday. The cabinets turned out pretty well. I like the blow torch effect and will try it again. I really enjoyed working with the water based finishes, they layer on just as well as a lacquer. I was able to get 99.9% of a mirror finish with just spraying, im not going to polish these speakers further they are done!! so far from a finish perspective this is the best speakers I have done.

How do they sound?

They sound amazing for bookshelf speakers. I currently own Usher UA711 and Ascend Sierras and have previously owned Selah SSRS and Veritas. I prefer these speakers stand alone to all of them. As I write this I am listening to Min Soldat by Scott Hamilton the mids and highs are excellent and at normal listening levels the bass is outstanding, you almost forget these are bookshelf speakers. Of my builds I would only rate the Cantelinas higher.These speakers are going to replace the ascend sierras in my basement workshop for now..

As far as a MLTL vs Bass Cabinet build, I am leaning towards the bass cabinet for these in the near future. FIrst I need to measure the SPL in Rew and decide on a woofer.. but I have time I probably wont attempt till late this year. If anyone just happens to know the SPL of these, you would speed this process up!
                        Cool look.

I had a friend that had a very expensive home built and it had solid fir doors. He took them all down, beat them with hammers and burned them with a torch and when the smoke cleared they looked incredible.

Comment

Saved his email in jpeg format ... hopefully it gives you all the information.
                          Super cool. I am still struggling to find time to finish some MLTL boxes for my Continuums. But this sounds like a good time

Comment

Working...
                          X