Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    replied
    20 watts RMS at what distortion %? A hifi amp or a little chip amp rated at 10% distortion and 2 ohms? And a power brick supplying full voltage? I have a SMSL SA-50 and it's fine. Fine as in youtube and Pandora and an occasional audio CD with a nearfield non obsessive compulsive audience.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Would I get decent volume levels at nearfield using an amp rated for 20 watts RMS into 4ohms?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I have PAs, Quarks, and Tyger23's Mariposas, all based on the PE tiny flat pack, although all were scratch built. I thought the PAs were about as good as the Quarks, and both were better than the Mariposas (sorry Tyger).

Leave a comment:

• robertf
    replied
    I did not find them bright,however ,I need more time with them. I built pair of Helium's a few years ago and have not had time to do a side by side comparison yet.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Originally posted by robertf View Post
    These are my Passive Aggressive speakers. Wanted to do something different in finishing and I have not done a passive radiator design before. Speakers are decoupaged with fabric, Speakers sound better than I thought they would,however, fall short of the Speedsters I built last year. That was to be expected but for the price and size they work well. I took them to work to use and stream music about 10 hours a day.
    Nice job, very interesting look. I bet your the envy of the office. Do you find them bright at all?

Leave a comment:

• robertf
    replied
    These are my Passive Aggressive speakers. Wanted to do something different in finishing and I have not done a passive radiator design before. Speakers are decoupaged with fabric, Speakers sound better than I thought they would,however, fall short of the Speedsters I built last year. That was to be expected but for the price and size they work well. I took them to work to use and stream music about 10 hours a day.

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    And yup.

i was thinking of maybe a false side of some sort

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    Any idea how these compare to the quarks or helium’s?

I am looking into my next build

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I t would be impossible to mount the speaker or PRs on the inside. If you want a bookshelf speaker to double as a bookend, this is not the right choice for you.

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake View Post

Beautiful job! Those turned out nice. Are you happy with the sound?
    Yes, I'm very happy with the sound. I haven't done much testing with placement, just been enjoying the speakers so far. I agree with Mike that the passives might be hard to mount on the inside. You'd need to offset them more and have a removable cabinet panel to allow for this. While doable, the design and assembly process would be much more complex.
    mlau, do you mean a ring around the radiator on the outside that protrudes further than peak excursions?
    Nate

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    Originally posted by mlau View Post
    Interesting looking project.

a few dumb questions:
    1. How picky are these for placement?
    2. Do you think the passive radiators could be mounted inside?
    Alternatively, could I add a rim of material to protect the radiator during excursions?

i would like to have a small speaker to put in a bookshelf
    I have a pair on my desk at work, and they are great for low to medium level listening. I don't think you could put the passive radiators on the inside due to the small size.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• robertf
    replied
    I purchased the kit on Saturday (3-2-19). Staff had to pull the kit and there was confusion on ringing me out. They said I was one of the first to buy the kit and there were technical difficulties with checkout. Had to stand around in showroom for about half an hour. Hope they get everything worked out for us people that are fortunate to be able to walk into Parts Express and buy the goodies! I have built the Helium's for desk top at work and I have never built a passive radiator design, so I will try these out.

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    Interesting looking project.

a few dumb questions:
    1. How picky are these for placement?
    2. Do you think the passive radiators could be mounted inside?
    Alternatively, could I add a rim of material to protect the radiator during excursions?

i would like to have a small speaker to put in a bookshelf

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Nice.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Originally posted by silverD View Post
    Here is a final shot of the pair...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pair.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	1404583
    Beautiful job! Those turned out nice. Are you happy with the sound?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X