Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    replied
    JMHO, The PA built from a kit would be a much easier first build than the Helium. That's a crowded little design. Scott S. mentioned starting with an available full range kit that has the woofer and enclosure. That would help a lot to make a Helium build easier.

Thought I'd seen that kit but can't find it now.

Leave a comment:

• Fauldsy
    replied
    Originally posted by robertf View Post
    I did not find them bright,however ,I need more time with them. I built pair of Helium's a few years ago and have not had time to do a side by side comparison yet.
    Really, really eager to hear detailed feedback regarding the Helium's compared to the PA's!! I am currently trying to figure out which one to go with for my first ever build. I want to know if the passives really make that much difference over a port, since both designs utilise the same woofer and enclosure size.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I think so.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    20 watts RMS at what distortion %? A hifi amp or a little chip amp rated at 10% distortion and 2 ohms? And a power brick supplying full voltage? I have a SMSL SA-50 and it's fine. Fine as in youtube and Pandora and an occasional audio CD with a nearfield non obsessive compulsive audience.
    20 watts RMS in 4ohms at less than 1% distortion

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    20 watts RMS at what distortion %? A hifi amp or a little chip amp rated at 10% distortion and 2 ohms? And a power brick supplying full voltage? I have a SMSL SA-50 and it's fine. Fine as in youtube and Pandora and an occasional audio CD with a nearfield non obsessive compulsive audience.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Would I get decent volume levels at nearfield using an amp rated for 20 watts RMS into 4ohms?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I have PAs, Quarks, and Tyger23's Mariposas, all based on the PE tiny flat pack, although all were scratch built. I thought the PAs were about as good as the Quarks, and both were better than the Mariposas (sorry Tyger).

Leave a comment:

• robertf
    replied
    I did not find them bright,however ,I need more time with them. I built pair of Helium's a few years ago and have not had time to do a side by side comparison yet.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Originally posted by robertf View Post
    These are my Passive Aggressive speakers. Wanted to do something different in finishing and I have not done a passive radiator design before. Speakers are decoupaged with fabric, Speakers sound better than I thought they would,however, fall short of the Speedsters I built last year. That was to be expected but for the price and size they work well. I took them to work to use and stream music about 10 hours a day.
    Nice job, very interesting look. I bet your the envy of the office. Do you find them bright at all?

Leave a comment:

• robertf
    replied
    These are my Passive Aggressive speakers. Wanted to do something different in finishing and I have not done a passive radiator design before. Speakers are decoupaged with fabric, Speakers sound better than I thought they would,however, fall short of the Speedsters I built last year. That was to be expected but for the price and size they work well. I took them to work to use and stream music about 10 hours a day.

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    And yup.

i was thinking of maybe a false side of some sort

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    Any idea how these compare to the quarks or helium’s?

I am looking into my next build

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I t would be impossible to mount the speaker or PRs on the inside. If you want a bookshelf speaker to double as a bookend, this is not the right choice for you.

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake View Post

Beautiful job! Those turned out nice. Are you happy with the sound?
    Yes, I'm very happy with the sound. I haven't done much testing with placement, just been enjoying the speakers so far. I agree with Mike that the passives might be hard to mount on the inside. You'd need to offset them more and have a removable cabinet panel to allow for this. While doable, the design and assembly process would be much more complex.
    mlau, do you mean a ring around the radiator on the outside that protrudes further than peak excursions?
    Nate

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    Originally posted by mlau View Post
    Interesting looking project.

a few dumb questions:
    1. How picky are these for placement?
    2. Do you think the passive radiators could be mounted inside?
    Alternatively, could I add a rim of material to protect the radiator during excursions?

i would like to have a small speaker to put in a bookshelf
    I have a pair on my desk at work, and they are great for low to medium level listening. I don't think you could put the passive radiators on the inside due to the small size.

Mike

Leave a comment:

Working...
X