Click image for larger version

Name:	pair.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	1404583

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied
    I finally got around to staining the boxes and went with java. I found I had to notch the cutout for the ND91 to allow for the terminal connections. I built the crossover on a small pcb and had to verify driver clearance in the box before I glued and soldered it together. I also insulated the connectors for the ND91 as I was concerned they might short to the driver frame. When I designed the finger joint boxes, I used the dimensions provided by Matt early in the thread and before the kit was available. I chose to offset the PRs like he suggested. After I assembled the first speaker, I tested it out and heard an odd noise as I turned up the volume. After some troubleshooting, I found the issue to be the lower mounted PR weights contacting the ND91 magnet on larger excursions. This was resolved with a bit of filing of the weights. My box dimensions are probably slightly off the flat pack provided in the kit. As others have noted, this is a tight build. The speakers sound great and provide more bass than their size would indicate. Here are some pics...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	stained.jpg
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	1404580Click image for larger version

Name:	xover.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	1404577Click image for larger version

Name:	xover bottom.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	1404578Click image for larger version

Name:	internals.jpg
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	1404581Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	1404579

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    A crossover built on a big (comparatively speaking) round terminal plate might work, would require a cab change. I had to stack up my components and I fit the board on the bottom, more room on the back or even top. Perhaps a manual pictorial showing how to fit it all in. Tom Zarbo did a great job with pictures and instructions on fitting his Bantam crossover.
    There is a pretty good diagram with the instructions. But, yeah, I had to stack components and I mounted the board on the bottom. I used these: https://www.parts-express.com/10-pcs...x-7cm--320-472

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    A crossover built on a big (comparatively speaking) round terminal plate might work, would require a cab change. I had to stack up my components and I fit the board on the bottom, more room on the back or even top. Perhaps a manual pictorial showing how to fit it all in. Tom Zarbo did a great job with pictures and instructions on fitting his Bantam crossover.

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
    Hey Matt,
    Is there any chance a PCB that's already set-up for the crossover components could be included? I realize it would add to the cost, but given the choice, I'd rather build the cabinets compared to fitting the crossover for this little guy. Nothing earth-shattering, but on a build this size, everything is REALLY cramped. It would be great to have a board oriented for the crossover parts.

By the way, these little guys are amazing. They definitely out-perform their size!

Thanks,
    Mike
    I agree, the crossovers are tricky to get fitted. A PCB would be nice and I can look into it for these to see what cost increase there would be.

UPDATE: It looks like the component-only kit will happen at a small cost savings over the full kit. I would expect to see this up in the next week or two, I will have make changes to the manual.

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    Hey Matt,
    Is there any chance a PCB that's already set-up for the crossover components could be included? I realize it would add to the cost, but given the choice, I'd rather build the cabinets compared to fitting the crossover for this little guy. Nothing earth-shattering, but on a build this size, everything is REALLY cramped. It would be great to have a board oriented for the crossover parts.

By the way, these little guys are amazing. They definitely out-perform their size!

Thanks,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    These are indeed the 0.04 knock downs, just with driver cutouts.

For those interested, I am working on getting a component-only version of this kit available. To be honest, the price of the kit as it is now basically means you are getting the cabinets for free anyway, so I don't know if a component-only kit would be viable. There is nothing saying you can't buy the kit and toss the cabinets, although I would have a hard time doing that too.

I'll keep y'all informed.

Leave a comment:

• 3rutu5
    replied
    Whoops, not sure what I read then. My bad

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Pretty sure post #1 states that these are the Denovo 0.04cf boxes, so...

Leave a comment:

• 3rutu5
    replied
    Sounds like a good base for a BT speaker build. What do you think a smaller bunch of drivers and radiator be like and box size? Let's say the ND65. Those boxes look quite small, but noticed they are 0.16cu.ft they still have a bigger footprint than anticipated, which I think cramming a 4" is why I got confused.

love the idea of getting that lower frequency for a small driver

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    Already done, Matt. I'll post some photos when they're done as far as staining goes.
    ​​​​​​Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Got these put together this morning. No stuffing. I am very impressed! They really sound much bigger than they are. I've been running a few of my test songs through them and other than a bit of trouble with the lowest parts of "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" they have been doing great. I might have been asking too much from them, so I won't deduct any points. Private Investigations by Dire Straits sounded great. These will soon be on my desk at work, so imagine they'll really shine. Great little speaker.
    I haven't put a finish on them yet. That's going to happen today and tomorrow. I haven't decided yet, but probably walnut veneer.
    Mike
    Thanks for the feedback Mike! Don't forget to post a review on our website too!

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    Got these put together this morning. No stuffing. I am very impressed! They really sound much bigger than they are. I've been running a few of my test songs through them and other than a bit of trouble with the lowest parts of "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" they have been doing great. I might have been asking too much from them, so I won't deduct any points. Private Investigations by Dire Straits sounded great. These will soon be on my desk at work, so imagine they'll really shine. Great little speaker.
    I haven't put a finish on them yet. That's going to happen today and tomorrow. I haven't decided yet, but probably walnut veneer.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    I haven't done anything with PRs yet, so I need to ask a question about them. I noticed no mention of stuffing or lining the walls. Is this typical with a design using a PR(S) or did I miss it?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike (et al),

I did not include any stuffing or lining in mine but it just depends on your personal tastes. Frankly I didn't use any because those little boxes were pretty well packed from the start so I didn't want to try to cram anything else in them. I doubt you will notice an audible difference one way or the other.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I threw a wad of poly in mine. There's hardly any wall space for lining.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X