• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1412670 In your case the Helium would probably work best, fewer U.S. sourced parts, as long as your UK PVC pipe is equivalent or workably similar.

I made the PAs, not from a kit. You can see them earlier in this thread. Very entertaining to watch. I've never heard the Heliums, but comments from speaker get together ear witnesses were very positive.

Also, I do all my listening in a nearfield setting with a sub. IMHO, no speaker this size that I've heard makes the amount of bass I like, including the PAs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fauldsy View Post

Thank you for your opinion - though the challenge of the build itself doesn't phase me. The hardest part for my brain is actually working out crossovers and enclosure sizes, especially since I use a Mac computer and a lot of the sim software doesn't! Hence why I am encouraged to rely on a tried and tested design, I don't have much issue building to plan.

Plus there is the issue of the fact I am based in the UK. Importing the whole kit is a lot more expensive, than if I were to source the drivers and passives from PE (works out cheaper even with taxes and shipping) and source the equivalent components for the crossover in the UK/Europe - thankfully we are still in the Union

So I am mostly interested in the performance factor. Looking at the frequency response I would guess that the PA is most in favour with my more bassier taste. Though it's extremely hard to tell for sure as the Helium is simulated and the PA is measured, plus real life use can show something different altogether.
      The Helium frequency response is a little more representative than a sim. The drivers were measured in the box to get FRD and ZMA values. The only thing simulated in the response graph is the crossover. I have verified that against the actual measured response, but they agree well enough that I didn't see a need to show both. The Helium has full baffle step compensation, so the bass is pretty full (to the extent that a speaker with an F3 in the upper 60's can be "bassy" without being too unbalanced. Like you, I am not sure how the PA's compare as I have not heard them side to side with the Heliums.
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• Originally posted by djg View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0327.JPG Views:	1 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	1412670 In your case the Helium would probably work best, fewer U.S. sourced parts, as long as your UK PVC pipe is equivalent or workably similar.

I made the PAs, not from a kit. You can see them earlier in this thread. Very entertaining to watch. I've never heard the Heliums, but comments from speaker get together ear witnesses were very positive.

Also, I do all my listening in a nearfield setting with a sub. IMHO, no speaker this size that I've heard makes the amount of bass I like, including the PAs.
        I've been interested to hear that DJG (relating to sub), I feel sometimes people get caught up building something small and don't really push it. I tried the ND65'S and found they don't really suit what I wanted, but another driver people were on the fence about did. I've been afraid to try the ND's bigger brother, especially with such a small box as I also have to import it and the AUD plus taxes and shipping make this experiment quite expensive

I would love to give this a go in a portable application, but would be a bit sad if it didn't have thumpy bass that hits one in the chest
        ​​​

​​​​​

Comment

• I guess the 5 1/4" ND140 has pretty good bass. Curt Campbell's NLA Aviatrix MTM in a MLTL went pretty low.

Comment

• But they were tubby! I mean bloated bass. Sealed is really the sweet spot for those.
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Tubby, yikes.

Comment

• Thank you Matt, for helping me to finally get The Passive Agressives I've always wanted!

They sound great, look amazing, and wifey is very pleased that I found speakers that can go anywhere...though I'm still working on finding the perfect placement for them.

Stay tuned!

Comment

• Hey,

Speakers are looking very nice. Well Done! Good job done by you.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoundpete View Post
                    Thank you Matt, for helping me to finally get The Passive Agressives I've always wanted!

They sound great, look amazing, and wifey is very pleased that I found speakers that can go anywhere...though I'm still working on finding the perfect placement for them.

Stay tuned!
                    You are very welcome, I am glad we could make that happen. It was nice to meet you!
                    Your results may vary.

Comment

• Would a larger Sub (perhaps a 10”) mesh ok with these crossed a little higher?

Comment

Working...
                      X