X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake
    Midrange Member
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by silverD
    I'm interested in building the PAs and thought these would be a good opportunity to try out the laser cutter at work with some .5" baltic birch. Since the fingers are not quite deep enough, the faces protrude and would require a fair amount of sanding to remove the burnt edges. I like the contrast and may leave them be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA finger.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1398886
    I think they would look good like this stained.

Comment

• 3rutu5
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by silverD
      I'm interested in building the PAs and thought these would be a good opportunity to try out the laser cutter at work with some .5" baltic birch. Since the fingers are not quite deep enough, the faces protrude and would require a fair amount of sanding to remove the burnt edges. I like the contrast and may leave them be.

Name:	PA finger.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1398886
      I personally think its a bit funky and like it. This would be something that i would try just because i know most of my mates wouldn't have anything like this and i could be unique, You guys in north american get all the good stuff, we get some average run of the mill ply down here and if you can get your hands on birch ply it cost a fortune and not really viable.

Will be interested on how it looks with speakers in it.

Comment

• tomzarbo
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jan 2006

Silver, does the "burnt" portion of the cut where the fingers touch impede good glue adhesion within the joint? Nifty looking cabinets by the way. I think I like the exposed black look too.
        TomZ
        Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• silverD
          Midrange Member
          • Apr 2014

Thanks for comments and suggestions everyone. I'll give some thought to staining them dark. Tom, I didn't glue it as I was doing a test fit. I had to use a rubber mallet to fully mate the pieces so I'm not sure if I'll get them apart. If I can I'll add a bit of blue, but might just seal the inside.
          My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

• silverD
            Midrange Member
            • Apr 2014

I laser cut the second box today applied a bit of glue when assembling it. I didn't want it to squeeze out and cover the burnt areas as I want to prevent from sanding them. I also gel stained some samples in Brown Mahogany and Java. Thoughts?

Name:	PA color.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	1399257
            My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

• andykriech
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Nov 2006

I like the contrast, so would suggest the lighter stain...
              Andy.

Comment

• Jake
                Midrange Member
                • Nov 2017

+1 on the lighter stain

Comment

• Mikeski
                  • Jan 2019

I'd also like to see this kit made available without the cabinets, as I want to make my own cabinets out of solid oak. I have a lot of oak laying around, and oak veneer is expensive. Wondering how much the provided cabinets add to the cost of the kit. I know I can buy the components separately, but that costs more than the kit.
                  Although I have not heard these speakers, not needing a subwoofer for so small a speaker makes this project seem like a home run for the desktop! Currently running some Micca MB42X speakers on my desktop with a home-made 8" passive subwoofer under the desk and a 2.1 amp. Thinking of building these Passive Aggressives for my wife's desktop. They are much smaller than the very popular MB42X and I'm sure will have better bass.

Comment

• djg
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • May 2008

Try calling PE with money in hand, see what they say. IME, they discount kit prices a bit. For example, my 8" 250DSP sub kit price was the amount of the amp and driver. PE threw in the flat pack and a sheet of upmarket sound deadener.

Don't forget you'll still need binding posts and screws with this kit.

You know if it's cheaper than buying all the components, buy it. They are very nice sounding little speakers, and very entertaining to watch.

Comment

• djg
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • May 2008

I threw a wad of poly in mine. There's hardly any wall space for lining.

Comment

• mattp
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by mikejennens
                        I haven't done anything with PRs yet, so I need to ask a question about them. I noticed no mention of stuffing or lining the walls. Is this typical with a design using a PR(S) or did I miss it?
                        Thanks,
                        Mike
                        Mike (et al),

I did not include any stuffing or lining in mine but it just depends on your personal tastes. Frankly I didn't use any because those little boxes were pretty well packed from the start so I didn't want to try to cram anything else in them. I doubt you will notice an audible difference one way or the other.
                        Your results may vary.

Comment

• mattp
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by mikejennens
                          Got these put together this morning. No stuffing. I am very impressed! They really sound much bigger than they are. I've been running a few of my test songs through them and other than a bit of trouble with the lowest parts of "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" they have been doing great. I might have been asking too much from them, so I won't deduct any points. Private Investigations by Dire Straits sounded great. These will soon be on my desk at work, so imagine they'll really shine. Great little speaker.
                          I haven't put a finish on them yet. That's going to happen today and tomorrow. I haven't decided yet, but probably walnut veneer.
                          Mike
                          Thanks for the feedback Mike! Don't forget to post a review on our website too!
                          Your results may vary.

Comment

• 3rutu5
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jul 2018

Sounds like a good base for a BT speaker build. What do you think a smaller bunch of drivers and radiator be like and box size? Let's say the ND65. Those boxes look quite small, but noticed they are 0.16cu.ft they still have a bigger footprint than anticipated, which I think cramming a 4" is why I got confused.

love the idea of getting that lower frequency for a small driver

Comment

• Chris Roemer
                              Obsessed & Proud of It
                              • Sep 2005

Pretty sure post #1 states that these are the Denovo 0.04cf boxes, so...

Comment

• 3rutu5
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Jul 2018

Whoops, not sure what I read then. My bad

Comment

Working...