X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattp
    started a topic Fun with the new ND Passive's - The Passive Aggressives

Fun with the new ND Passive's - The Passive Aggressives

Named for their aggression/size ratio. This is a little project I came up with using our 0.04 cube knock downs and some leftover red oak veneer. Each cabinet uses an ND91-4, two dual opposed ND90 passives and an ND20FB-4. These are some kick @$$ desktop speakers that really don't need a sub. They even hit you a little in the chest with certain kick drums. Very impressive for the footprint they have.

The tricky part was getting everything to fit in the cabinet. I had to slightly offset the passives so the threaded rods wouldn't hit each other under extreme excursions. Dremeling them shorter is another option but I didn't bother. The passives use all of the included weight but I did remove the wing nuts. Tuning according to DATS is around 56 Hz which is about where they modeled. Fairly simple crossover, the ND91's are a little tricky when you are shooting for a minimalist design. XO is around 2.6kHz. Enjoy the forthcoming eye candy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1370569.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1370574

Name:	fetch?photoid=1370567.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1370575

(Knife for scale)

Name:	fetch?photoid=1370571.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1370576

Name:	fetch?photoid=1370572.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1370577

• djg
    replied
    Has anyone else made these? Great little speaker, a real fun project.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I made little pedestals from the leftovers to get these up to ear level. Turning the bass up on the Nobsound 2.1 amp really gets these woofers woofing. Great project highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    You are truly a renaissance man.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    LOL!

...When you're going to town
    and screwing down
    but all it does is spin around
    Then it's a small design!

Hah!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    My cordless drill spun the whole unit around when installing the woofer screws 'til I turned the clutch down to 2.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Reposted....

Ode to a small speaker...

When the wires pull the speaker off the stand,
    Or when they barely fit the palm of your hand,
    Or internally they don't go as planned,
    Then it's a small design.

When the bass makes them dance and oscillate,
    and also you hyperventilate,
    and you question the project's thermal state,

When nothing else will fit inside,
    then bending rules you past abide',
    But all your logic's justified,

If empty cabs weigh less than parts,
    and going outside the box is art,
    Then you'll know right from the start,
    That it's a small design.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Thanks Tom, that board was among the plain maple shrink wrapped stock of 1 bys at Menards. My crossover has the caps stacked on top of the resistors, very tight. Not photogenic. I was wanting to build your Bantams but they seemed really tight with those Peerless PRs.
    The PR actually made it easier than trying to fit a board in there believe it or not. No issue fitting everything by stacking resistors on caps, etc. just like you did with yours. I would think that having two PR's plus a woofer would really take up space in there. Wonder if a 'crossover on a stick' would work for these.

I'm reminded of Wolf's nearly famous poem about 'Small Speakers' which seems very fitting in this design....

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Thanks Tom, that board was among the plain maple shrink wrapped stock of 1 bys at Menards. My crossover has the caps stacked on top of the resistors, very tight. Not photogenic. I was wanting to build your Bantams but they seemed really tight with those Peerless PRs.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Yikes! That maple is just gorgeous looking! I've seen a similar quilted look on maple veneer, but I didn't realize that it could run through a whole board like that, or that it would look so nice.
    I'd love to see a pic of someone's crossover board on these.
    Those are beautiful. Nice job!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Done. Sound nice in a 2.1 setting. If you want a set of these, you might want to wait for the kit. The drivers are a bit fussy to mount. The woofer has a terminal mount requiring a relief in the mounting hole that gets really close to the edge of the woofer frame. The tweeter is not quite a fractional hole size, I went 1 3/8" with my Jasper jig, and had to enlarge the hole by hand. It's really crowded inside too.

Other than that, very cool little speakers Maybe they'll loosen up and get bassier. I just finished them.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Watco oil finish. Grain looks better than my picture portrays it.

Leave a comment:

• mga2009
    replied
    Originally posted by mattp View Post

Unfortunately an 8 ohm version is not in the works right now. The 4 ohm ND91 simply works best in this box alignment.

Chances are your AVR will not have a problem driving these, it is a pretty easy 4 ohm load, although it ultimately depends on your AVR. Don't forget we have a multitude of small amps that will work well at 4 ohms that won't break the bank.
    My AVR is a Sony STR DN1080, it does not have preamp outputs, not even for the mains! And I wanted to use the Passive Agressives for surround duty... Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by mga2009 View Post
    good news about the kit! sadly, if it is a 4ohm speaker, my sony avr will not be able to power them. an 8ohm version is not possible? Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately an 8 ohm version is not in the works right now. The 4 ohm ND91 simply works best in this box alignment.

Chances are your AVR will not have a problem driving these, it is a pretty easy 4 ohm load, although it ultimately depends on your AVR. Don't forget we have a multitude of small amps that will work well at 4 ohms that won't break the bank.

Leave a comment:

• mga2009
    replied
    good news about the kit! sadly, if it is a 4ohm speaker, my sony avr will not be able to power them. an 8ohm version is not possible? Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X