X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattp
    started a topic Fun with the new ND Passive's - The Passive Aggressives

Fun with the new ND Passive's - The Passive Aggressives

Named for their aggression/size ratio. This is a little project I came up with using our 0.04 cube knock downs and some leftover red oak veneer. Each cabinet uses an ND91-4, two dual opposed ND90 passives and an ND20FB-4. These are some kick @$$ desktop speakers that really don't need a sub. They even hit you a little in the chest with certain kick drums. Very impressive for the footprint they have.

The tricky part was getting everything to fit in the cabinet. I had to slightly offset the passives so the threaded rods wouldn't hit each other under extreme excursions. Dremeling them shorter is another option but I didn't bother. The passives use all of the included weight but I did remove the wing nuts. Tuning according to DATS is around 56 Hz which is about where they modeled. Fairly simple crossover, the ND91's are a little tricky when you are shooting for a minimalist design. XO is around 2.6kHz. Enjoy the forthcoming eye candy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1370569.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1370574

Name:	fetch?photoid=1370567.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1370575

(Knife for scale)

Name:	fetch?photoid=1370571.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1370576

Name:	fetch?photoid=1370572.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1370577

• Jake
    replied
    +1 on the lighter stain

Leave a comment:

• andykriech
    replied
    I like the contrast, so would suggest the lighter stain...
    Andy.

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied
    I laser cut the second box today applied a bit of glue when assembling it. I didn't want it to squeeze out and cover the burnt areas as I want to prevent from sanding them. I also gel stained some samples in Brown Mahogany and Java. Thoughts?

Name:	PA color.JPG
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	1399257

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied
    Thanks for comments and suggestions everyone. I'll give some thought to staining them dark. Tom, I didn't glue it as I was doing a test fit. I had to use a rubber mallet to fully mate the pieces so I'm not sure if I'll get them apart. If I can I'll add a bit of blue, but might just seal the inside.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Silver, does the "burnt" portion of the cut where the fingers touch impede good glue adhesion within the joint? Nifty looking cabinets by the way. I think I like the exposed black look too.
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• 3rutu5
    replied
    Originally posted by silverD View Post
    I'm interested in building the PAs and thought these would be a good opportunity to try out the laser cutter at work with some .5" baltic birch. Since the fingers are not quite deep enough, the faces protrude and would require a fair amount of sanding to remove the burnt edges. I like the contrast and may leave them be.

Name:	PA finger.JPG
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1398886
    I personally think its a bit funky and like it. This would be something that i would try just because i know most of my mates wouldn't have anything like this and i could be unique, You guys in north american get all the good stuff, we get some average run of the mill ply down here and if you can get your hands on birch ply it cost a fortune and not really viable.

Will be interested on how it looks with speakers in it.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Originally posted by silverD View Post
    I'm interested in building the PAs and thought these would be a good opportunity to try out the laser cutter at work with some .5" baltic birch. Since the fingers are not quite deep enough, the faces protrude and would require a fair amount of sanding to remove the burnt edges. I like the contrast and may leave them be.

I think they would look good like this stained.

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
    What data did you use for the simulated response?
    If you are asking me, that is actual measured response, not simulated. Near field is blended to 1m measurement around 500 Hz.

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    What data did you use for the simulated response?

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Glad the kit is finally available. This is a really good little speaker that sounds good and is amazing to see in action, cones all a-pumping and what-not.

I think the passive sub kit is a great idea too with all the 2.1 amps PE now has available.
    Now you have two choices of passive sub, this and the little square-donut 'Four-Banger' sub.
    Hey, did I just come up with a pretty good name for that?

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    There are two PRs.

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    Wouldn't putting the passive radiator look far more elegant if mounted to the back instead of the side.

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied
    I figure I will put this here too.

The Passive Aggressive kit is finally available!

http://www.parts-express.com/passive...pair--300-7148

Also, check out the new down-firing passive subwoofer we just released:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-kit--300-7160

Leave a comment:

Working...
X