Custom Powered Voxel Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Powered Voxel Build

Recently I had a giveaway for a custom speaker. The winner got to choose a custom speaker (within reason) for me to make a custom design on. He really wanted a small subwoofer for his soundbar. I immediately thought about Paul Carmody Voxel subwoofer. However this gentleman really wanted something self powered and pretty. After some discussion and thoughts I came up with this design in sketchup.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180319-153254.png
Views:	3
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1372580
    Once he approved I went to work. I really wanted a nice smooth finish on this, so I decided I was going to bondo the entire box. Then use whatever paint I want. So that is exactly what I did. But before that, I decided to cut out a spot for a cherry inlay.

Name:	IMG_20180409_231945_745.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	1372576
    I also decided to wire it with this low pass board and this amp with a 19v 4.74a power supply. I also upgraded the knobs to some guitar style knobs. I felt they were heavier duty and fit the look I was going for.

Name:	image_72839.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	712.5 KB
ID:	1372577
    Once it was finished I sealed everything up and laid the inlay. I must say I am very happy with the resutls. I only wish it could stay in my house .

Name:	IMG_20180412_140927_358.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	1372575

Final Thoughts: I think I may do a redesign on the box. The box is great, but I think the port may be a little too small. I get some port noise and I would like to minimize that. Also if I were to do it again, I would consider adding an anti pop board. When you turn on the amplifier, it does make the speaker pop. However, I am less inclined to do that on a subwoofer, since I typically leave it on all the time.
    All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel
Working...
X