X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
    Those are really nice.
    You have a CNC router?
    Thank you! Yes, we have a small CNC router as well as a laser cutter. They make the process more fun and precise than we otherwise would be.

Comment

Very cool. What kind of glue/process did you use to glue the walnut overlays on?

Comment

Originally posted by AaronBradley View Post
        Very cool. What kind of glue/process did you use to glue the walnut overlays on?
        It is PSA veneer and is pressed on with a sort of acrylic squeegee tool. Its the same process used to adhere the maple to the plywood underneath. We have experimented with a few different veneer techniques but are far from experts. The PSA has the advantage of no-mess, but we haven't seen yet how it holds up over time. For a project like this where they should be handled rarely, it is unlikely to be an issue. I imagine it would be more important for furniture that has regular wear.

As a little update, we have continued to listen to these and their bigger brothers, the Joules (which use Raal tweeters and a translam construction). I still prefer the analytical and revealing sound of the Raal, but the Accuton tweeters are more forgiving and sound better with more music. I find some poorly recorded music unbearable on the Raals since you can really hear how flat poor recordings are compared to good ones. So this set has been used for most all-purpose listening while the Joules are only used for well-recorded tracks. The Bonsais are definitely more eye catching but they still could use some tweaking to the positioning to get the best soundstage.

Comment

I used PSA veneer on several early builds i made and they are still holding up fine after 12+ years.
          ¬*the PSA also has the advantage of non-messy glue out to the very edge.
          Where did you buy your veneer? I would love to have some walnut like you used.
          ¬*Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by andykriech View Post
            I used PSA veneer on several early builds i made and they are still holding up fine after 12+ years.
            ¬*the PSA also has the advantage of non-messy glue out to the very edge.
            Where did you buy your veneer? I would love to have some walnut like you used.
            ¬*Andy.
            I believe he ordered it through a local wood supplier. If not there, he ordered through Rockler, but it looks like they are currently sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by mattk View Post
              I can't show this thread to my wife, she'll ask why I can't replicate these. Incredibly good looking, and I'm sure sounding as well.
              You could to lobby for a $10K speaker building budget¬*

Comment

Working...
              X