New 2.1 subwoofer / satellite system -- combing the work of two PE veterans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2.1 subwoofer / satellite system -- combing the work of two PE veterans

I built a pair of satellites based on Scott Sehlin's crossover design for the PS95-8 woofer and the AMT mini-8 tweeter. The PS95s are great and the addition of the AMTs really bring some sparkle to the set. These are in the PE 0.04 cubic foot prefab boxes. Sealed since low end extension is not needed due to the subwoofer taking over bass duties.

the subwoofer is the Bob in GA design using the TB W6-1139 driver in a sealed box (the 0.23 cubic ft prefab PE box) using the dayton MCA2250 plate amp with bass boost. This sealed subwoofer really sounds great and Bob was right -- the boost on the PE plate amp (which he measured as different than described on PE's site) really evens it out and extends the bass. I like the way it sounds better than my not-quite-voxel using the W5-1138 in the same box ported (the blue speakers visible in the background of the pic). Less boomy and more accurate.

these are finished using Sapele veneer and the baffles are mahogany 3/4" hardwood with a 1/4" round-over on the edges.

Happy with this project. Now on to the next one!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	new 2.1 speaker set.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	829.4 KB
ID:	1373512

(title of this post should read "combining" but it won't let me edit the title)
    Last edited by ceiol; 04-22-2018, 08:07 PM.

Great work! What f3 do you believe that w6 is capable of in that enclosure? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
      Great work! What f3 do you believe that w6 is capable of in that enclosure? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I haven't measured them, but using test tones, it plays 30 Hz reasonably well

Here's the original build from Bob in GA
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...room-or-office

The plate amp has a +6 dB boost at 40 Hz which tapers to +3 dB at 63 Hz (which is what the specs say
      https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ifier--300-771

attached is Bob's measured frequency response
      Click image for larger version

Name:	FR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1373519

Comment

and for completeness, here's Scott's crossover design for the PS95-8 and AMT mini-8
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...gns-for-ps95-8

Comment

Nice! That PS95 is pretty. 

Comment

Great looking project! I saw that old thread before, and I'm surprised it didn't pick up more traction.*

Comment

Those look fantastic! really premium looking drivers.* How do the sound compared to the Quarks in the background?*

Comment

Hi Ceiol,

I'm glad you are enjoying the W6-1139.* It can really dig for just a 6" sub.* I like the TB woofers a lot.*

I have another project in the works that's even smaller.* It uses the TB W3-2108 ported, and while it doesn't play nearly as loud, it is pretty surprising to hear a solid 40 hz from a 3" woofer.

-Bob
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Originally posted by Birchmen View Post
                  Those look fantastic! really premium looking drivers.* How do the sound compared to the Quarks in the background?*
                  The PS95-8s with the AMT mini-8 sound better to me than the Quarks. Warmer and more realistic mids with crispier and more airy highs. But given the big price difference between the drivers, I suppose that's to be expected.*

Comment

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
                    Hi Ceiol,

I'm glad you are enjoying the W6-1139.* It can really dig for just a 6" sub.* I like the TB woofers a lot.*

I have another project in the works that's even smaller.* It uses the TB W3-2108 ported, and while it doesn't play nearly as loud, it is pretty surprising to hear a solid 40 hz from a 3" woofer.

-Bob
                    looking forward to seeing your new design -- although I thought that you preferred sealed subs to ported ones!

Comment

I don't really have a preference for for closed or ported. Once you add boost to a closed box, you are essentially making it a ported box acoustically. The one advantage is that you can use a smaller box. But the downside of using a boost is that you run into xmax problems around the boost frequency more quickly. A true closed box without boost is better, but today's sub drivers are not optimized for closed boxes and they just don't go low enough. There are exceptions, but the days of highish Qts and Fs in the teens are over, probably because they are rather inefficient.
                      -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                      My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                      The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Working...
                      X