Goldwood GRS 10SW-4 & E-10SP box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldwood GRS 10SW-4 & E-10SP box

Looking to make a small, inexpensive, low powered, sub for my gf's Ford explorer.

Thinking about the Goldwood driver (PE #292-482) and enclosure PE# 260-628.

But...blocking off the vent in that box, to make it 1.1ft3 sealed, after taking internal measurements of course.

The driver displaces about .007, so after sealing, the enclosure will be right about the sealed recommendation of 1ft3, at f3 of 42Hz.

I considered the 8in Dayton SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer, with two passive rads, or the Dayton DCS205-4 classic.
    But can't get to an f3 that low when considering total cost.

Opinions? Where only talking about 70-100w rms. Not building an spl machine. Just clean, flat, low and controlled. For about $50 total, this appears very good.

Why not get a sealed box from the get go? The Scosche SE12CC is 1.25 cubic foot. You would need an adapter to go from 12 to 10 or just mount a new MDF panel on the front like I did with my son's sub. I had a clearance issue cause the speaker was too deep for the box so I added an extra layer of MDF. Sonic Electronix has the Belva MDFS1012 1.2 cubic foot box. What dynamo says x2. I've found the back corner pointing sideways into the trunk or pointing towards the back of the vehicle sound the best.

Comment

Originally posted by jonbourg View Post
      Why not get a sealed box from the get go? The Scosche SE12CC is 1.25 cubic foot. You would need an adapter to go from 12 to 10 or just mount a new MDF panel on the front like I did with my son's sub. I had a clearance issue cause the speaker was too deep for the box so I added an extra layer of MDF. Sonic Electronix has the Belva MDFS1012 1.2 cubic foot box. What dynamo says x2. I've found the back corner pointing sideways into the trunk or pointing towards the back of the vehicle sound the best.
      Got any links? Trying to keep the build around $50, minus amp.

I'm considering using a concrete form tube. Can get a 12x48 tube for around $10. Cylinders are are better sonically iirc. Not worried about looks. Couple cheap 13x13 square (to keep from worrying about rolling) mdf end caps, and im in it for less than I thought. I've been told I'm a whiz at cutting a circle with a jigsaw, which I do have.
      Smallest size is of utmost importance.

Should be somewhere around 18-20inches long.

***EDIT***

That scoshe is dirty cheap, but still needs mods for a 10. The Belva is about the same price as the ported enclosure, but won't have to modify it to seal it. Money saved, and looks well built! Looks like a good alternative! Thanks!

Will have to see how much two 13x13 mdf panels will cost me to do a tube. If end price is more than $35, including glue and mdf, maybe some threaded rod nuts and washers, and a jigsaw blade, the Belva is the best option.

I have a feeling cost will be about equal, give or take $2-$3. Than there's the time and work making the tube. I don't have much free time.

Comment

Thanks again jonbourg.
        Was at Wally world yesterday with the better half...wandered over to electronics with my 18mo old mini me. Amps were craptastic at best, and overpriced.

Gonna go with the Pioneer GM-A3702 from crutchfield for $60. 190rms bridged is more than sufficient, with low pass.
        Also the Belva 1.2ft2 sealed you recommended. Looks like a decent prebuilt enclosure. Should be a decent combination. But God I hate running wires. Received the touch screen HU, mounting kit, and wiring harness 2 weeks ago. Still have to wait for the sub stuff and backup camera to arrive. Not about to pull the head out 2 or 3 times to finish running wires...ugh. I'm impatient and and want it in NOW! Just glad I didn't have all of it this weekend, as it's been 90+ in Detroit the last couple days.
        Not ideal for driveway installs.

Comment

Sonic Electronix has the Belva MDFS1012 1.2 cubic foot box.
          Just wanted to say thanks again for this recommendation. It arrived today and is actually quite a nice box for $30. I expected something along the lines of other cheap boxes, but it exceeded my expectations quality wise. If I could spare the room, I'd order another one of those goldwood subs and mount both in an Iso config and put a port in. I may actually buy 4 more, two more of these Belvas, and some passive radiators for a home theater stereo sub setup.

Hoping the weather man is wrong and it doesn't rain on Sunday, so I can get all of this installed.

Comment

Got all the "pre-wiring" and mounting done this weekend. Just need a nice day to install it all.

Finally got an eRapta Ert3 license plate cam too.

Forgot how much I love, yet hate, soldering.

Put disconnects on the amp so I can take the sub out if the room is needed.

Stupid grill clamps weren't compatible, gonna have to send those back. Had to improvise using small fender washers. Not pretty, but does the job.

Install will have to wait. Had a family medical emergency this weekend, so couldn't get the install done.

I still plan on dusting off my 20a pyramid power supply and playing with the sub and amp until I can get time to put it all in the Exploder.

Comment

UPDATE...

Finally got the new head unit and sub installed.

This $20 sub sounds stupid good! For the whole $120 the sub, enclosure, and amp cost...I'm absolutely amazed! If I didn't have kids, I'd order 3 more of the subs, enclosures, and bolt them all together into a cube. Would make got a cheap sq spl setup.

I'd never stick this sub into a ported enclosure for car audio. It's pretty accurate and cabin gain takes it down into the low 30s easily...with little power.

I'll have to run some freq sweeps and see how low it actually goes.

Comment

Did some testing today. Usability down to 30hz. Can hear the GRS to 25hz, but not well and can tell it's struggling really bad at that point.
                I really want to play with multiples of this driver and see myself getting 4 to run in 2 Iso loading pairs for the house.

Comment

One correction-

The GRS is not a Goldwood driver. GRS is a house brand of PE.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

iv enjoyed hearing that sub sounds good as i recently bought 4 of the same series 12"s.putting them in around a 9 cu foot sealed box in a 95 cougar powered by a crossfire cfa600

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      One correction-

Later,
                      Wolf
                      Even a polock can learn something everyday, I did not realize GRS was a PE house brand like Dayton. Was that always the case, did they buy out a brand or they have
                      always owned the GRS brand.

Comment

AFAIK, it's always been a house brand, just like Talent, Dayton, Audtek, etc.
                        Rory designed the 4" 'Pioneer replacement' GRS midrange.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          One correction-

Later,
                          Wolf
                          Johnny Richards told me (with some authority) that a specific 12" MCM woofer was actually a re-branded GRS woofer - identical driver. I'm wondering if there's "more to the story" ...

Also, if the GRS drivers are a PE brand, why don't they publish FR and impedance graphs?

Comment

As someone who can speak authoritatively on this, there is no commonality between the GRS woofers and any MCM product.

After Elemental Designs folded, I felt there was a void left in the market that had previously been filled by their EHQS series drivers, and I also felt there had been some compromises made in the EHQS drivers that I would not have made, but I was a fan of the cosmetics. Think of these as an improvement upon those drivers, with the addition of a 10" model and with some improvements to the 8" and 12" models. I have a stock of the 8" and 12" EHQS models, so I was able to do direct testing and comparison, and ultimately our offering was able to come in at a lower price. I was aware of the MCM poly-cone woofers and have a few (in storage) but I wanted to have a better offering, not merely the cheapest (which MCM was doing quite well at). The GRS poly cone subwoofers are actually geared toward subwoofer use, with larger voice coils and longer excursion than the existing GRS woofer offerings, plus more rugged cones. Naturally at this price point some compromises were necessary, so I made the ones that in my estimation would provide the most usable product.

Fun times.
                            Technology in the service of art, for the life of the music.

Comment

Working...
                            X